Egypt will face England in the 2016 Women’s World Team Squash Championship...
- Egypt’s women beat hosts France to reach World Championship final
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores brace as Ittihad thrash Ettifaq
- Wenger gives update on Elneny’s condition
- OFFICIAL: Gabon appoint Jose Camacho as new manager
- Mahmoud Fayez: Salah will be fit in time for AFCON
- SQUASH: Egyptian women take world’s top three spots for first time in history
- SQUASH: Egypt beat USA to reach WWTC semi-finals
- Ahmed Gafaar excluded from Zamalek’s squad against El-Dakhleya
- Salah out for three weeks with an ankle injury
- Wim De Coninck believes Trezeguet must return to Anderlecht
VIDEO: Amr Gamal clinches top spot for Ahly in Group A
Ahly XI: Ekramy; Rahil, Naguib, Saad Samir, Fathi; Ashour, Abdallah El-Said, Ramadan, Momen; Meteb, Evouna
The 2014/15 Egyptian Premier League runners-up came into the match aiming to secure pole position in the group, to afford the luxury of playing the second-placed team from Group B.
Moussa Coulibaly came close to giving his side the lead in the 17th minute, but his shot flew over Ekramy’s crossbar.
20 minutes later, Emad Meteb failed to finish a one-on-one chance, and Sobhy somehow managed to miss from the rebound.
The second half was similar to the first; Ahly were pressing forward, while the visitors sat back.
The breakthrough eventually came in the form of a set piece; Hossam Ashour flicked on a cross by El-Said to Gamal, who made no mistake from close range with 15 minutes remaining.
The goal calmed the hosts’ nerves, especially after Momen had previously had a goal disallowed before being replaced by Walid Soliman.
The result, paired with Etoile du Sahel’s win over Esperance, ensures Al Ahly finish in first place with 13 points, with Etoile finishing in second on goal difference.
The semi-finals of the tournament are scheduled to be played a fortnight from now.
Watch Gamal’s goal here: