Mahmoud Abdel-Moniem ‘Kahraba’ played all 90 minutes as Al Ittihad fell to...
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
- Zamalek legend Hazem Emam says winning African title ‘not impossible’
- Egypt’s assistant coach says Pharaohs won’t rely on history
- Sada Cruzeiro beat El-Gaish in Volleyball Club World Championship
- Sundowns manager Pitso Mosimane believes it’s not over yet
- Mohamed Zidan satisfied with 2017 AFCON Draw
- Osama Nabih: Ghana’s match is the most important in history of Egyptian football
- Egypt climbs seven places in October FIFA Rankings
VIDEO: Bounedjah brace gives Etoile Sahel comeback win over Esperance
Esperance were confirmed as eliminated going into the final round of group A matches. Conversely, Etoile Sahel were through to the Confederations Cup semi-finals and were contending for top spot against Al Ahly.
This did not deter competitiveness from these two rivals. On 25 minutes, Haythem Jouini scored the first goal of Ammar Souayah’s tenure as Esperance coach from Mhirsi’s corner.
The home team was the dominant side throughout. Just like their first encounter, Ben Cherifia was called upon a number of times to keep his side in the game.
Etoile Sahel was also guilty of spurning chances and looked doomed to a home defeat.
With the game in its dying embers, Bounedjah wrong footed Ben Cherifia from a penalty to draw the Red Brigades level.
The Algerian striker was not done though, and headed home the winner in the second minute of added time to send the crowd into raptures.
Just last week, the forward scored a hat-trick in his sides’s thrilling 4-3 cup final victory.
Regardless, Etoile still finished second behind Al Ahly – who defeated Stade Malien narrowly – and will have to play the second leg of their semi-final away from home. Both sides finished with 13 points but the Egyptian giants edge on goal difference.
Watch the goals below: