The Ahly handball team beat their Zamalek counterparts, without legend Ahmed El...
- HANDBALL: Ahly beats Zamalek in league encounter
- VIDEO: Hossam Paulo scores as Zamalek down Nasr Lel Ta’adeen
- Mido: Gent was special for me, English football suited me
- AS Roma to face Olympique Lyonnais in Europa League
- Smouha set date for Ulinzi Stars clash
- El-Hadary: I apologise to everyone at Wadi Degla
- Essam El-Hadary: I may leave Wadi Degla
- Former teammate talks about ‘scissors’ incident between Mido and Zlatan
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
VIDEO: Bounedjah brace gives Etoile Sahel comeback win over Esperance
Esperance were confirmed as eliminated going into the final round of group A matches. Conversely, Etoile Sahel were through to the Confederations Cup semi-finals and were contending for top spot against Al Ahly.
This did not deter competitiveness from these two rivals. On 25 minutes, Haythem Jouini scored the first goal of Ammar Souayah’s tenure as Esperance coach from Mhirsi’s corner.
The home team was the dominant side throughout. Just like their first encounter, Ben Cherifia was called upon a number of times to keep his side in the game.
Etoile Sahel was also guilty of spurning chances and looked doomed to a home defeat.
With the game in its dying embers, Bounedjah wrong footed Ben Cherifia from a penalty to draw the Red Brigades level.
The Algerian striker was not done though, and headed home the winner in the second minute of added time to send the crowd into raptures.
Just last week, the forward scored a hat-trick in his sides’s thrilling 4-3 cup final victory.
Regardless, Etoile still finished second behind Al Ahly – who defeated Stade Malien narrowly – and will have to play the second leg of their semi-final away from home. Both sides finished with 13 points but the Egyptian giants edge on goal difference.
Watch the goals below: