Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has confirmed that his Cameroonian defender Joël Matip will not be going...
- Klopp confirms Joel Matip will not be going to AFCON
- FIFA announces bans on various African football officials
- Trezeguet’s Royal Mouscron appoint Mircea Rednic as manager
- Yannick Bolasie sidelined for a year after suffering knee injury
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
VIDEO: Zamalek thrash Pirates to clinch first place
Zamalek came into the encounter needing to avoid defeat in order to remain in pole position in the group ahead of the visitors.
Indeed, Pirates manager Eric Tinkler had hinted that Zamalek would play for the draw, but it couldn’t have been farther from the truth.
Ahmed Tawfik opened the scoring in the 14th minute, after being ‘set up’ by the excellent Kahraba.
The Buccaneers equalised through Manyisa in the 32nd minute, who bundled the ball in at the near post from a Gabuza cross.
Nevertheless, Mekki restored the lead just 6 minutes later, after a glorious backheel by Kahraba sent him clean through on goal.
The second interval would prove to be tough ordeal for the visitors, as Zamalek ramped up the pressure in an attempt to secure the win.
Youngster Mostafa Fathy scored his team’s third goal of the match 17 minutes into the second half, after yet another Kahraba assist.
The ex-Luzern and Grasshoppers attacker finally grabbed a goal of his own with 23 minutes remaining; Tarek Hamed released the 21-year-old down the left, and his emphatic finish was the icing on top of the proverbial cake, as Zamalek ran out convincing winners.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) September 13, 2015
Zamalek will now face Etoile du Sahel in the semi-finals of the competition, and rivals Al Ahly will face Orlando Pirates in the other matchup. The first legs will be played outside of Egypt, in two weeks’ time.
Watch all the goals below: