Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
2022 Qatar World Cup dates announced
The news will come as a blow to governing bodies of many countries, as this will coincide with the domestic seasons of many countries, especially in Europe’s major leagues.
There have been many fears over the safety of players in the hot conditions of Qatar during the summer, with temperatures commonly reaching the 45 degrees Celsius mark, and so a winter World Cup had been rumored to go through since Qatar’s bid to host the tournament was successful.
In recent years, there have been many occurrences of premature deaths among footballers, none more high profile than that of Ecuadorian striker Christian Benitez who died in Doha, Qatar in 2013, and many linked it to the heat in the country.
The announcement of a FIFA World Cup in Qatar was controversial enough in the first place, with many allegations of corruption surrounding it, as well as allegations of slave labor being used combined with extremely poor working conditions, however this will create more controversy with the required rescheduling of league systems.
This may not be such a huge blow to some leagues such as the Bundesliga, which already has a winter break in place. However, several others such as the Premier League will struggle to find room over the year to accommodate for the World Cup.