Egypt’s local national team have defeated Benin 2-0 in the preparations for CHAN...
- VIDEO: Egypt’s locals national team defeat Benin
- Ghanaian officials banned for sexual harassment
- Mortada: Alain Giresse has agreed to manage Zamalek
- Volleyball: Al Ahly crowned African champions
- Egypt’s general prosecutor reopens the Air Defence Stadium case
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
Salah plays 90 minutes as Roma fall to BATE Borisov in Belarus
BATE started off on the stronger foot, immediately pinning back the Giallorossi.
Their early pressure would pay handsome dividends, as they took the lead in the eighth minute thanks to Igor Stasevich’s composed finish.
Just four minutes later, Filip Mladenovic’s 30-yard speculative effort somehow got past a shaky Wojciech Szczęsny.
The hosts were flying by then, and Roma’s midfield and attacking trio looked as out of ideas as their back line was leaky.
Mladenovic netted his second goal of the match, and his side’s third, in the 31st minute. His powerful shot from close range was never going to be saved by the dejected Szczęsny.
Although half-time couldn’t come soon enough for Rudi Garcia’s men, their attacking presence was obvious from the start of the second interval.
After much huffing and puffing, Gervinho finally opened the scoring for the visitors in the 66th minute, slotting home after a simple, yet elegant passing move initiated by Salah.
The Egyptian attacker would later go on to miss an incredible chance in the 73rd minute; a fortunate deflection saw the ball land at his feet with only the goalkeeper to beat, but his effort flew over the bar.
Despite Torosidis’ late, scruffy goal, the hosts managed to hold on for a big win in a difficult group containing the likes of Barcelona and Bayer Leverkusen.
The result – paired with Barcelona’s 2-1 win at home to Leverkusen – now means Barcelona are in first place with four points, followed by Leverkusen and BATE respectively. Roma sit in fourth with a solitary point from two matches.
Leverkusen host Roma on the 20th of October at 8:45 p.m. Egypt time.