Ghana and FC Schalke left-back Baba Rahman was ruled out of the African...
- Baba Rahman to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Egypt keeper Ahmed El-Shennawy sheds light on AFCON injury
- EXCLUSIVE: Kilmarnock turn down Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- AFCON Roundup: Guinea Bissau denied historic win
- OFFICIAL: Ghana’s Baba Rahman out of Africa Cup of Nations
- African legend Essam El-Hadary sets sights on 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Hosts Gabon suffer injury setback ahead of Cameroon clash
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
- Grant: Happy for the three points, Ghana can do better
VIDEO: Ahly crash out of Confederation Cup after thriller
Despite leading 2-0 13 minutes into the second half, the Red Devils somehow managed to concede four goals in just over half an hour in a remarkable capitulation.
Al Ahly XI: Ekramy; Ali, Saad, Naguib, Rahil; Fathi, Ashour, Abdallah El-Said, Momen; Antwi, Evouna.
Orlando Pirates XI: Ovono, Matlaba, Mahamutsa, Jele, Gcaba, Masalesa, Ntshumayelo, Makola, Myeni, Majoro, Gabuza
The hosts started somewhat calmly, and their wait for the first goal extended until the 43rd minute, when Evouna rounded Ovono and slotted into an empty net.
Just eight minutes into the second half, Evouna scored his side’s second goal, heading home from a cross.
It seemed the 2014 Confederation Cup winners were heading for their second consecutive final, but the Buccaneers had other ideas.
Just after Evouna had missed a chance to complete his hat-trick, substitute Erasmus scored after a poor defensive clearance, as the collapse began.
Gabuza levelled the scores in the 75th minute, to the dismay of the approximate 2,000 fans in attendance.
It would go from bad to worse for the Egyptians, as Matlaba scored Pirates’ third to give the South Africans the lead for the first time in the match.
Amr Gamal’s 90th-minute goal meant Al Ahly needed to score twice in added time to qualify, but Rakhale capitalised on the hosts’ all-out attack to make it 3-4 with seconds remaining, as Orlando Pirates won 5-3 on aggregate.