Egyptian International Ahmed Hassan Koka featured as SC Braga secured a narrow...
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
- INTERVIEW: World squash number 4 Karim Abdel Gawad talks to KingFut
- Meteb excluded from Al Ahly squad against Petrojet
- Cúper recruits 10 international players for qualifier against Ghana
- Sanad’s La Rioja defeat Metalurg Handball in EHF Champions League
- Edin Dzeko talks about Mohamed Salah and regained form
- Khama Billiat glad to have stayed with Mamelodi Sundowns
Al Ahly sack Mabrouk and Abdel-Sadek, appoint ‘Zizo’ as interim coach
The Al Ahly SC board, led by Mahmoud Taher, have announced the departure of first team coach Fathi Mabrouk as well as director of football Alaa Abdel-Sadek, appointing club legend Abdel Aziz Abdel Shafi as team’s interim coach for the encounter against Zamalek in Egypt Super Cup.
Following a series of disappointing results, Mabrouk and especially Abdel-Sadek have come under heavy criticism and it was inevitable that one or both of them would be sacked if the team were knocked out of the CAF Confederation Cup.
Al Ahly suffered a horrenderous season by their standards after losing the CAF Super Cup, the Egypt Cup, the Egyptian League as well as getting knocked-out of the CAF Champions League and the Confederation Cup.
The club’s board member Mohamed Abdel Wahab has confirmed the sacking of Mabrouk and Abdel Sadek with ‘Zizo’ taking over on temporary basis.
“We have thanked coach Fathi Mabrouk and Alaa Abdel Sadek for the services with the club in the last period. Abdel Aziz Abdel Shafi will take over in the next game against Zamalek in Super Cup,” Abdel Wahab told Sada El Balad channel.
Abdel Wahab also had a say on the rumors of negotiations with a foreign coach, denying having an agreement with Portuguese manager José Peseiro but keeping the door open for club’s legendary coach Manuel José.
“José Peseiro and Thomas Schaaf weren’t on the table of discussion at all during the board’s meeting. However, Manuel José is one of the options considered, a decision to be announced in the next few days. I also confirm that the new coach won’t be Egyptian.”