Lierse football club announced on their website that the team’s midfielder Amr...
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
Orlando Pirates coach Eric Tinkler: We tactically outplayed Al Ahly
The South African side successfully qualified to the CAF Confederation Cup final after beating Egyptian giants Al Ahly 5-3 on aggregate.
Tinkler stated that he tried to stop Al Ahly from building up play and putting pressure on Orlando’s defense. He said, “Al Ahly tried to put us under pressure since the start of the game, but we managed to absorb their energy and Enthusiasm.”
He then talked about Al Ahly’s disastrous defensive errors, “Al Ahly scored two goals, but they couldn’t hold on to this lead due to their defensive errors. We took advantage of the large space behind their fullbacks and successfully scored and won the game.”
“Although, I’m not sure if Al Ahly’s first goal was offside or not,” he added.
Tinkler stressed that scoring an away goal was his team’s main objective: “I told my players before the match that scoring an away goal is extremely important, it’s our key to the final.”
Eric concluded his remarks by stating that the game wasn’t easy at all against an experienced team like Al Ahly: “It was a tough game, especially against experienced players that have won plenty of African tournaments in the past.”