In an intensive interview with France Football Magazine, Mohamed Salah reflected on...
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
- Salah speaks about youth, idols
- Mohamed Salah: “Our group is tough, but we are Egypt”
- Official: Egypt’s Ahmed Sayed ‘Zizo’ joins Nacional on loan from Lierse
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
- Egypt lose to Sweden, face Croatia in World Handball Championship last 16
- Avram Grant demands injured players’ replacement in AFCON
- Zamalek reject Torino’s offer for Mostafa Fathi
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
Al Ahly legend Gilberto announces his retirement
Al Ahly legend Sebastião Gilberto has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 33.
The Angolan footballer spent eight seasons with the Red Devils, where he was able to win a handful of trophies with the club since he moved from Atlético Petróleos de Luanda of Angola in 2002.
Gilberto was part of Al Ahly’s golden-era squad – winning six Egyptian Premier League titles, five Egyptian Super Cup titles and three Egypt Cup trophies.
Beside domestic titles, he helped the Cairo giants achieve African glory, as he won two CAF Champions League titles (2005 and 2008) and four African Super Cups, participating in the 2005 and 2008 versions of the Club World Cup. However, the Angolan missed the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany and the Club World Cup in Japan that year due to an Achilles injury lay-off, which also denied him a CAF Champions League medal in 2006.
After spending over eight years with Al Ahly, the Angolan international moved to Belgian club Lierse S.K. in 2010. Two seasons later, he joined Cypriot AEL Limassol for one year, before returning to his youth club Atlético Petróleos de Luanda.
The Angolan left-back then moved to Angolan Benfica de Luanda in 2014 before deciding to hang up his boots in October 2015.
The former Al Ahly player formed a duo with his compatriot Amado Flavio, who ended his playing earlier this year. Together, they managed to assist and score some of Al Ahly’s most important goals during their period with the club.