Zamalek were held to a goalless draw against Tanta in gameweek 26...
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
Al Ahly reject the return of Manuel Jose
Al Ahly board have rejected the return of Portuguese coach Manuel Jose for a fourth spell with the Red Devils.
According to several news reports, the former Al Ahly coach was one of the potential candidates for the head coach position at the Red Castle. Al Ahly board, however, put an end to these rumors on Wednesday, denying the return of the legendary coach.
“The board rejected the return of Manuel Jose to Al Ahly,” Al Ahly board member Taher El-Sheikh declared.
The Red Devils are currently looking for a foreign coach to take over the team, meanwhile, Abdel-Aziz Abdel-Shafy ‘Zizo’ serves as a caretaker, following the sacking of Fathi Mabrouk.
Many of Al Ahly fans called for the return of the 69-year-old coach, who led the Red Devils during their golden era and won a handful of titles on the domestic and African level.
“Jose’s name was completely excluded from the list of candidates to coach Al Ahly,” the former Al Ahly player said.
“Jose didn’t work for the past four years, also his old age was put into consideration,” he explained.
The board members were expected to announce the name of the new coach following Wednesday’s meeting, however, they ended up only announcing the appointment of Adli El Keiy as spokesperson.
“We haven’t decided on the name of the foreign coach yet, there are names that we are discussing,” El-Sheikh said.
“The new coach might be Spanish or Portuguese but we won’t reveal the names now,” he concluded.