Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Al Ahly reject the return of Manuel Jose
Al Ahly board have rejected the return of Portuguese coach Manuel Jose for a fourth spell with the Red Devils.
According to several news reports, the former Al Ahly coach was one of the potential candidates for the head coach position at the Red Castle. Al Ahly board, however, put an end to these rumors on Wednesday, denying the return of the legendary coach.
“The board rejected the return of Manuel Jose to Al Ahly,” Al Ahly board member Taher El-Sheikh declared.
The Red Devils are currently looking for a foreign coach to take over the team, meanwhile, Abdel-Aziz Abdel-Shafy ‘Zizo’ serves as a caretaker, following the sacking of Fathi Mabrouk.
Many of Al Ahly fans called for the return of the 69-year-old coach, who led the Red Devils during their golden era and won a handful of titles on the domestic and African level.
“Jose’s name was completely excluded from the list of candidates to coach Al Ahly,” the former Al Ahly player said.
“Jose didn’t work for the past four years, also his old age was put into consideration,” he explained.
The board members were expected to announce the name of the new coach following Wednesday’s meeting, however, they ended up only announcing the appointment of Adli El Keiy as spokesperson.
“We haven’t decided on the name of the foreign coach yet, there are names that we are discussing,” El-Sheikh said.
“The new coach might be Spanish or Portuguese but we won’t reveal the names now,” he concluded.