Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Chad upsets Sierra Leone to set-up Egypt showdown
Chad has advanced to the second round of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying in Africa despite a 2-1 defeat to Sierra Leone on Tuesday.
Chad, who earned an unlikely 1-0 win at home in the first leg, advanced on the away goals tie breaker.
They move on to face Egypt in another home-and-away playoff next month. The winner of that tie moves onto the group stage, where only the group winners will advance to the World Cup finals in Russia.
Léger Djimrangar, who scored the winner in the first leg, was the hero for Chad once again, scoring on the stroke of halftime to give the visitors a shock lead.
Sierra Leone stormed back in the second half with goals by Alhaji Kamara and Abdul Sesay on 70 and 79 minutes respectively.
However, the Leone Stars failed to take advantage of their momentum and score the all-important third goal.
Chad finished the match with 10 men when Constant Madtoingué was sent off in second-half injury time.
Egypt and Chad have also been paired in 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying, playing in the same group along with Nigeria and Tanzania.
The two have met four times previously, with one draw and three Egypt wins.