Egypt national team left-back Mohamed Abdel-Shafy will not be able to play in...
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
Chad upsets Sierra Leone to set-up Egypt showdown
Chad has advanced to the second round of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying in Africa despite a 2-1 defeat to Sierra Leone on Tuesday.
Chad, who earned an unlikely 1-0 win at home in the first leg, advanced on the away goals tie breaker.
They move on to face Egypt in another home-and-away playoff next month. The winner of that tie moves onto the group stage, where only the group winners will advance to the World Cup finals in Russia.
Léger Djimrangar, who scored the winner in the first leg, was the hero for Chad once again, scoring on the stroke of halftime to give the visitors a shock lead.
Sierra Leone stormed back in the second half with goals by Alhaji Kamara and Abdul Sesay on 70 and 79 minutes respectively.
However, the Leone Stars failed to take advantage of their momentum and score the all-important third goal.
Chad finished the match with 10 men when Constant Madtoingué was sent off in second-half injury time.
Egypt and Chad have also been paired in 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying, playing in the same group along with Nigeria and Tanzania.
The two have met four times previously, with one draw and three Egypt wins.