Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
Chad upsets Sierra Leone to set-up Egypt showdown
Chad has advanced to the second round of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying in Africa despite a 2-1 defeat to Sierra Leone on Tuesday.
Chad, who earned an unlikely 1-0 win at home in the first leg, advanced on the away goals tie breaker.
They move on to face Egypt in another home-and-away playoff next month. The winner of that tie moves onto the group stage, where only the group winners will advance to the World Cup finals in Russia.
Léger Djimrangar, who scored the winner in the first leg, was the hero for Chad once again, scoring on the stroke of halftime to give the visitors a shock lead.
Sierra Leone stormed back in the second half with goals by Alhaji Kamara and Abdul Sesay on 70 and 79 minutes respectively.
However, the Leone Stars failed to take advantage of their momentum and score the all-important third goal.
Chad finished the match with 10 men when Constant Madtoingué was sent off in second-half injury time.
Egypt and Chad have also been paired in 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying, playing in the same group along with Nigeria and Tanzania.
The two have met four times previously, with one draw and three Egypt wins.