Zamalek were held to a goalless draw against Tanta in gameweek 26...
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
Al Ahly contacted Trapattoni
The Cairo based club hired Portuguese José Peseiro to start his mission as Al Ahly’s new manager replacing Fathy Mabrouk who was sacked along with Alaa Abdel-Sadek.
“Before we hired Peseiro we negotiated with Trapattoni,” Taher said in an inteview on TEN TV channel.
“We were ready to go over the budget to hire Trapattoni but the only thing that stopped us from doing so was his age since he is 76 years old,” he explained.
Giovanni Trapattoni managed a number of well known clubs including AC Milan, Juventus, Bayern Munich and the Italian national team.
“Even if we would have signed him, they’ve accused us of signing an old coach. Even if we hired the legendary Franz Beckenbauer, they’ll say that he hasn’t been coaching for a while,” Taher concluded.