Al Ahly football manager Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced the team’s CAF Champions League...
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
- AFCON Roundup: Group A teams share spoils
- EXCLUSIVE: Chinese club in negotiations to sign Aly Ghazal
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Sam Morsy features, Lierse draw
- Zamalek and Ismaily handed transfer bans
VIDEO: Salah scores in home win against Empoli
Mohamed Salah scored Roma’s third goal as the Giallorossi comfortably won 3-1 at home to Empoli.
There were a few chances for each side to open the scoring, with Gervinho being the main culprit; the Ivorian had a third-minute goal chalked off for offside, before spurning a few more chances to give his side the lead as Salah impressed with his build-up play.
Nevertheless, the half-time whistle blew with the score still at 0-0.
Empoli started the second half stronger than the hosts, but the introduction of Rajda Nainggolan for Iago Falque in the 55th minute would turn the match on its head.
Pjanic scored a lovely free-kick in the 56th minute, as the Empoli defence was finally breached.
The Bosnian turned provider four minutes later; his corner found Danielle De Rossi, who turned the ball home on his 500th official appearance for the Romans.
Salah sealed the win for Roma ten minutes after that, after a good run from Gervinho – released by Nainggolan down the left – and a center into the box was emphatically fired into the roof of the goal by the onrushing Egyptian, who now has four goals in eight Serie A appearances this season.
Marcel Buechel scored in the 75th minute for Empoli, but it would be no more than a consolation strike as the match drew to a close.
Roma now sit in second place in the league standings, but Inter Milan and Lazio can still overtake them with wins this round.
It is worth mentioning that Salah will return to Florence next week as Fiorentina host Roma on Sunday, but up first is an away tie against Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League on Tuesday.