Roma grabbed a fantastic 3-1 away win over Inter Milan at the...
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
- EFA announce date for Arab Club Championship draw
- Al Ahly and Wadi Degla fined following league match controversy
- Karim Nedved confirms receiving an offer from La Liga club
- Elmohamady plays full 90 minutes as Hull draw with Burnley
Emmanuel Emenike announces retirement from international football
Nigerian striker Emmanuel Emenike has announced his retirement from international football after five years of service.
The Nigerian striker announced on his Instagram on Monday that he will be quitting the Super Eagles, stating: “No more Eagles career! After five great years, I am happy to announce that I have put full-stop to my national team career for the sake of national peace.”
“It’s a pleasure for me to have played for this great country. I never regretted it and I think it’s the best time to end it. Million thanks to all the fans who have been very supportive during the good and bad times.
“I am very proud of my performance, I am proud of my team mates and I am very proud of the nation called ‘Nigeria’. My AFCON gold medal is a sign of great achievement, my AFCON topscorer award speaks a lot about my commitment and dedication to the team.
“Super Eagles is a camp not a family house, and it shouldn’t be a threat zone for any individual,” he concluded.
Emenike’s international retirement came amid rumors that Nigeria’s new manager, Sunday Olish, will axe the 28-year-old from next month’s World Cup qualifier against Swaziland after the striker failed to deliver in four matches under the new Eagles coach.
Emenike is currently on loan at UAE club Al Ain from Turkish side Fenerbahçe. The striker has scored five goals in four matches for the league champions.
The Super Eagles will take on Egypt in a 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna, on March 23, 2016.