In an intensive interview with France Football Magazine, Mohamed Salah reflected on...
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
- Salah speaks about youth, idols
- Mohamed Salah: “Our group is tough, but we are Egypt”
- Official: Egypt’s Ahmed Sayed ‘Zizo’ joins Nacional on loan from Lierse
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
- Egypt lose to Sweden, face Croatia in World Handball Championship last 16
- Avram Grant demands injured players’ replacement in AFCON
- Zamalek reject Torino’s offer for Mostafa Fathi
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
Emmanuel Emenike announces retirement from international football
Nigerian striker Emmanuel Emenike has announced his retirement from international football after five years of service.
The Nigerian striker announced on his Instagram on Monday that he will be quitting the Super Eagles, stating: “No more Eagles career! After five great years, I am happy to announce that I have put full-stop to my national team career for the sake of national peace.”
“It’s a pleasure for me to have played for this great country. I never regretted it and I think it’s the best time to end it. Million thanks to all the fans who have been very supportive during the good and bad times.
“I am very proud of my performance, I am proud of my team mates and I am very proud of the nation called ‘Nigeria’. My AFCON gold medal is a sign of great achievement, my AFCON topscorer award speaks a lot about my commitment and dedication to the team.
“Super Eagles is a camp not a family house, and it shouldn’t be a threat zone for any individual,” he concluded.
Emenike’s international retirement came amid rumors that Nigeria’s new manager, Sunday Olish, will axe the 28-year-old from next month’s World Cup qualifier against Swaziland after the striker failed to deliver in four matches under the new Eagles coach.
Emenike is currently on loan at UAE club Al Ain from Turkish side Fenerbahçe. The striker has scored five goals in four matches for the league champions.