An unfortunate day for the Egyptian trio in the British Open Squash...
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
VIDEO: Salah scores, sent off in Roma win over Fiorentina
The Egyptian started the match to the surprise of many, given the hostile reception he was expected to receive, after refusing to renew his loan with the Viola at the end of last season.
Nevertheless, Rudi Garcia named Salah in his starting lineup for the top-of-the-table clash at the Stadio Artemio Franchi.
Roma broke the deadlock six minutes into the game, with Salah putting the Giallorossi ahead against his former team after a one-two play with Miralem Pjanic before sending a curler into the bottom corner of the net.
Rudi Garcia’s men doubled their lead 10 minutes before halftime when Ivory Coast international Gervinho used his pace to break through Fiorentina’s defense and get inside the box to put the ball past Fiorentina goalkeeper Tatarusanu.
In the second half, Fiorentina’s top scorer Nikola Kalinic missed a glorious opportunity to put his team back in the game 10 minutes before the final whistle, as he headed straight towards Roma’s goal but blasted the ball way over the bar.
Some drama spiced up the scene as goalscorer Salah was sent off four minutes before the final whistle, after receiving two yellows in the span of few seconds for a foul and dissent respectively. A few minutes later, Senegalese striker Khouma Babacar pulled up a late goal for the hosts, but it wasn’t enough for the Viola.