Egypt’s Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica defeats Braga one nil...
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
- VIDEO: Warda assists twice in PAOK 4-0 win over Veria
- Mohamed Salah scores in Roma’s 4-1 win against Torino
- VIDEO: Keeper Busca’s heroics help Al Masry advance in Confederation Cup
- VIDEO: Al Ahly return to winning ways after beating Arab Contractors
- Zamalek to face Nigeria’s Enugu Rangers in CAF Champions League
- Former Al Ahly manager Garrido sacked by Al-Ettifaq
- VIDEO: Smouha edge Maqassa in seven-goal thriller
- Zambia announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Shikabala excluded from Zamalek squad against Tala’a El-Gaish
FC Basel march on to Swiss Cup quarter-finals
Mohamed El-Nenny’s FC Basel defeated SV Muttenz 5-1 to advance to the quarter-finals of the 2015 Swiss Domestic Cup.
The Liga Classic side hosted Basel in the round of 16 of the Swiss Domestic Cup on Wednesday.
Against a lower division side, Basel’s manager Urs Fischer decided to leave his big stars on the bench, most notably Taulant Xhaka and Egyptian midfielder Mohamed El-Nenny.
In the 25th minute, Danish defender Daniel Hoegh put Basel in the lead, scoring from a cross by Shkelzen Gashi.
Two minutes later, Davide Calla was denied by the bar to put his name on the score sheet.
Five minutes past the half hour mark, Gashi coupled his splendid performance with a goal and doubled the lead.
Just on the verge of the end of the first half, FC Basel had a chance to score their third but Muttenz stopper Marc Tanner was equal to the task making a save on the line.
Early in the second half, Muttenz struck from the spot after a foul by Manuel Akanji in the box, making the scoreline 2-1 in the 48th minute.
Shkelzen Gashi then netted twice to complete his hat-trick, stretching the lead to 4-1 in the 72nd minute.
Three minutes later, Albian Ajeti concluded scoring from the spot to seal a 5-1 victory for the visitors that saw them advance to the last eight.
Basel reached the round of 16 after beating YF Juventus in September. They will now play in the quarter-finals, which will take place on 12 and 13 December.