AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
FC Basel march on to Swiss Cup quarter-finals
Mohamed El-Nenny’s FC Basel defeated SV Muttenz 5-1 to advance to the quarter-finals of the 2015 Swiss Domestic Cup.
The Liga Classic side hosted Basel in the round of 16 of the Swiss Domestic Cup on Wednesday.
Against a lower division side, Basel’s manager Urs Fischer decided to leave his big stars on the bench, most notably Taulant Xhaka and Egyptian midfielder Mohamed El-Nenny.
In the 25th minute, Danish defender Daniel Hoegh put Basel in the lead, scoring from a cross by Shkelzen Gashi.
Two minutes later, Davide Calla was denied by the bar to put his name on the score sheet.
Five minutes past the half hour mark, Gashi coupled his splendid performance with a goal and doubled the lead.
Just on the verge of the end of the first half, FC Basel had a chance to score their third but Muttenz stopper Marc Tanner was equal to the task making a save on the line.
Early in the second half, Muttenz struck from the spot after a foul by Manuel Akanji in the box, making the scoreline 2-1 in the 48th minute.
Shkelzen Gashi then netted twice to complete his hat-trick, stretching the lead to 4-1 in the 72nd minute.
Three minutes later, Albian Ajeti concluded scoring from the spot to seal a 5-1 victory for the visitors that saw them advance to the last eight.
Basel reached the round of 16 after beating YF Juventus in September. They will now play in the quarter-finals, which will take place on 12 and 13 December.