Mali coach Alain Giresse officially confirmed that Soumbeyla Diakite and attacker Adama Traoré...
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
VIDEO: Abdel-Shafy assists as Al-Ahli down Najran
Mohamed Abdel-Shafy played the full 90-minutes and assisted in Al-Ahli’s hard-fought 1-0 win over Najran that sees them top the Abdul-Latif Jameel League table.
Both teams started the game with their eyes on the three points.
Al-Ahli’s Salman Al-Moasher finally broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute, latching on to Abdel-Shafy’s pass, which put him in a scoring position before he calmly placed the ball to the left of Najran’s Abdul-Aziz Takroni.
After the goal, Najran’s players fell back, inviting pressure, but Al-Ahli’s strikers failed to capitalize before the end of the first half.
After the break, Najran pushed forward in search for an equalizer, while Al-Ahli were searching for a safety goal.
The final minutes of the second half saw Najran press higher up the field, creating chances, but Al-Ahli’s defense kept the score at 1-0.
With this win, Al-Ahli sit on top of the table with 13 points, one point ahead of Al-Ittihad and Al-Hilal.
Next up for Al-Ahli are Al Shabab away from home, in the 6th round of the Abdul-Latif Jameel League.