Al Ahly have defeated Kenyan side Prisons 3-0 in the quarter-finals of the African...
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
VIDEO: Abdel-Shafy assists as Al-Ahli down Najran
Mohamed Abdel-Shafy played the full 90-minutes and assisted in Al-Ahli’s hard-fought 1-0 win over Najran that sees them top the Abdul-Latif Jameel League table.
Both teams started the game with their eyes on the three points.
Al-Ahli’s Salman Al-Moasher finally broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute, latching on to Abdel-Shafy’s pass, which put him in a scoring position before he calmly placed the ball to the left of Najran’s Abdul-Aziz Takroni.
After the goal, Najran’s players fell back, inviting pressure, but Al-Ahli’s strikers failed to capitalize before the end of the first half.
After the break, Najran pushed forward in search for an equalizer, while Al-Ahli were searching for a safety goal.
The final minutes of the second half saw Najran press higher up the field, creating chances, but Al-Ahli’s defense kept the score at 1-0.
With this win, Al-Ahli sit on top of the table with 13 points, one point ahead of Al-Ittihad and Al-Hilal.
Next up for Al-Ahli are Al Shabab away from home, in the 6th round of the Abdul-Latif Jameel League.