The Egyptian national team has been valued to be the 25th most...
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
Mazembe beat USM Alger, edge closer to African title
In an intense encounter, Mazembe kept their cool and used their considerable experience to secure a great result ahead of the return leg.
Rainford Kalaba gave TP Mazembe the lead against the hosts with a wonderful strike in the 27th minute.
However, he was sent off at the end of the first half, and resulted in the visitors playing an entire half with 10 men.
The numerical advantage didn’t last for too long, as USM Alger’s Hocine El Orfi saw red card in 68th minute, which further increased the pressure on the hosts.
Then Mbwana Samatta scored the second for TP Mazembe in the 79th minute from the penalty spot – after missing a spot kick minutes earlier – to rub salt into the home side’s wounds.
Mohammed Seguer halved the deficit, and scored the first goal for the home side in the 88th minute.
After they have failed to secure a good result at home, USM Alger will face a tough match in the second leg at Stade TP Mazembe on November 8. The Congolese team, however, moved one step closer to the title, after securing a positive away result.