Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
Mazembe beat USM Alger, edge closer to African title
In an intense encounter, Mazembe kept their cool and used their considerable experience to secure a great result ahead of the return leg.
Rainford Kalaba gave TP Mazembe the lead against the hosts with a wonderful strike in the 27th minute.
However, he was sent off at the end of the first half, and resulted in the visitors playing an entire half with 10 men.
The numerical advantage didn’t last for too long, as USM Alger’s Hocine El Orfi saw red card in 68th minute, which further increased the pressure on the hosts.
Then Mbwana Samatta scored the second for TP Mazembe in the 79th minute from the penalty spot – after missing a spot kick minutes earlier – to rub salt into the home side’s wounds.
Mohammed Seguer halved the deficit, and scored the first goal for the home side in the 88th minute.
After they have failed to secure a good result at home, USM Alger will face a tough match in the second leg at Stade TP Mazembe on November 8. The Congolese team, however, moved one step closer to the title, after securing a positive away result.