Hossam El-Badry has announced his 21-man squad facing Misr El-Maqassa in the 13th...
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
Héctor Cúper: I made the right decision taking Egypt job
Following his appointment this past March, Héctor Cúper has made impressive performances as the Pharaohs’ manager, including two marginal wins against Tanzania (3-0) and Chad (5-1) in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers. The 59-year-old Argentine expressed the hardships brought along from banning fans from stadiums in domestic Egyptian competitions, and acknowledged the fact that anything but World Cup qualification will be deemed a failure.
“The fans are the throbbing heart of this sport. I feel that when the players score a goal they are not happy, they are not hyped. They need the fans,” explained Cúper.
Cúper continued, “Yes, the situation in the country is not ideal but I take all the precautions that I need to take to stay safe and secure. I am extremely happy in Egypt, and I think I have taken the right decision of coming here.”
When asked about the national team itself, he replied, “Until now I see the 4-4-2 formation as the most ideal one for the team,” and then said, “Mahmoud Kahraba and Mohamed Salah are essential figures in my formation.”
“Salah is such a great player. In the national team he plays as an attacking midfielder, while in Roma he plays as a winger. In the end his shifting of positions does not bother us,” explained Cúper.
“We also need two strong players in midfield, and I believe Zamalek’s Tarek Hamed and Basel’s Mohamed Elneny are perfect for the position. The players are obedient and they managed to fit in the playing system.
Finally, Héctor Cúper expressed his gratitude with the player and his position as the Pharaohs’ manager by saying, “What makes me the happiest with the Egypt national team is that the players are modest and respectful. There is no one who is egotistic, or feels that he is the undisputed star among the others.”
“They are humble and that what makes the atmosphere in the team great. The group does not spend a lot of time with me, but I do my best to keep them happy every time we meet,” replied Cúper.