The draws for Egyptian sides Al Ahly and Zamalek in CAF Champions...
- Al Ahly, Zamalek opponents in CAFCL group stages revealed
- Smouha in Group C as CAFCC draw announced
- Dodo El-Gabbas scores and assists in Lierse win over Union SG
- Ramadan Sobhi reveals effect of AFCON on Stoke career
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
Mido: Early retirement? I suffered like Owen and Torres
Current Ismaily coach Mido claims that playing at high levels at a young age exhausted his energy, and was the reason for his early retirement.
Speaking to TV channel MBC, Mido has insisted that his early retirement was brought on by physical problems, and that the same problems were suffered by Owen and Torres, seeing as they started their top-level careers aged only 17.
“I’ve played at very high levels in the Champions League and Eredivisie since I was just 17,” Mido said.
“It was natural to have my energy exhausted at the age of 30. Michael Owen and Fernando Torres suffered from the same problem too,” he added.
Mido admitted that he had neglected too many things during his professional career and hadn’t taken the advice of older players about the importance of maintaining his body while he was young.
Mido concluded ” My retirement decision was never a moment of breaking down but it was a moment of insistence to succeed in other fields, such as match analysis and coaching.”