Argentina and Barcelona legend Lionel Messi is set to visit Egypt on...
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
- AS Roma star Mohamed Salah: I’m happy to be back
- Talaat Youssef leads Al-Ahli Tripoli to CAF Champions League round of 32
- Egypt opponents Mali announce U-20 AFCON squad
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
Cúper: History counts for nothing in football
Egypt will face Chad at the Stade Idriss Mahamat Ouya in N’Djamena in the first leg of the 2018 Russia FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign, while the second leg will take place in Egypt on Tuesday.
Cúper seemed confident that his team will place the tie in their favor before the return match.
“We can win this match despite the absence of many players,” said Cúper in the pre-match press conference.
“History counts for nothing in football. I had a meeting with the players and pointed out that the national team lost the chance to qualify, more than once, against small teams,” he continued.
The Argentine coach did not seem to be worried about the venue: “We will play this match to win; I do not care if we are playing at home or away. I intend to benefit twice from this match; firstly, by reaching the next round of qualifying, and also by raising Egypt’s in the FIFA rankings; to make Egyptians happy.”
Regarding the climate; Cúper revealed that he reached an agreement with the match officials.
“I asked the officials to allow a water-break every thirty minutes, since the humidity is high over here,” he concluded.