KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Cúper: History counts for nothing in football
Egypt will face Chad at the Stade Idriss Mahamat Ouya in N’Djamena in the first leg of the 2018 Russia FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign, while the second leg will take place in Egypt on Tuesday.
Cúper seemed confident that his team will place the tie in their favor before the return match.
“We can win this match despite the absence of many players,” said Cúper in the pre-match press conference.
“History counts for nothing in football. I had a meeting with the players and pointed out that the national team lost the chance to qualify, more than once, against small teams,” he continued.
The Argentine coach did not seem to be worried about the venue: “We will play this match to win; I do not care if we are playing at home or away. I intend to benefit twice from this match; firstly, by reaching the next round of qualifying, and also by raising Egypt’s in the FIFA rankings; to make Egyptians happy.”
Regarding the climate; Cúper revealed that he reached an agreement with the match officials.
“I asked the officials to allow a water-break every thirty minutes, since the humidity is high over here,” he concluded.