Mohamed Abdel-Shafy has appeared for the first league game since December as Al...
- Al Ahli to take legal action against Zamalek
- Ajax Cape Town withdraw from CAF Confederations Cup
- Mido: Al Ahly are in for a surprise
- Two Egyptians included in IFFHS’ list of 48 football legends
- CAF unanimously backs Bahrain’s Shaikh Salman in FIFA elections
- Ultras Ahlawy to attend Al Ahly’s training ahead of Cairo derby
- EXCLUSIVE | Panetolikos set fee for Sampdoria-target Amr Warda
- Elneny included in Arsenal’s Champions League squad
- EXCLUSIVE: Emerton and Bresciano: Egypt have some great talent
- Zizo applauds team’s performance, discusses his Al Ahly future
Africa’s World Cup qualifiers draw set for June
FIFA have announced that the draw for final round of 2018 World Cup qualifiers for the African zone will take place in Cairo on 24 June 2016.
According to the FIFA official website, the group stage draw, which will involve 20 African teams, will be held at the CAF headquarters located in Cairo.
The 20 teams will be drawn into five four-team groups with teams playing home and away matches. Group leaders qualify automatically for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
Teams will be seeded into four pots according to their FIFA rankings. Egypt now hold the 11th position in Africa, which puts them in pot three. Rankings, however, can change when Egypt play matches before the draw in June.
FIFA have announced on Thursday that the group stage qualifier matches will start on 3 October 2016 and finish by 6 November 2017.
Egypt has qualified for the third and final round of World Cup qualifications after beating Chad 4-1 on aggregate.