Former Tottenham Hotspur striker Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’ has given an outrageous vow...
- Mido gives outrageous vow if Zamalek win CAF Champions League
- Zamalek’s Ibrahim Salah believes nothing is impossible ahead of final showdown
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley finally end winless streak
- Mohamed Elneny features in Arsenal’s goalless draw with Middlesbrough
- RC Lens dominated at home but earn draw against Reims
- Pitso: We can go to the match without training
- Billiat lauds Pitso Mosimane’s methods ahead of Zamalek tie
- Sundowns’ keeper Onyango on Zamalek clash: It’s not done yet
- Emmanuel Amuneke open to managing Zamalek
- EXCLUSIVE | CAF reveal stance from Sundowns training venue problems
Amr Zaki: I received offers from Real Madrid and Liverpool
Retired Egypt and Zamalek striker Amr Zaki has revealed the behind-the-scenes events that took place during his stint in the English Premier League with Wigan Athletic.
Amr Zaki, who was at Wigan on loan from Zamalek, was the top scorer of the English Premier League for a short time during the 2008-2009 season, scoring on his debut against West Ham United and then netting a brace against Liverpool.
“Wigan was receiving offers from many clubs, and I was told that I was free to go anywhere since they didn’t own me,” said Zaki in an interview with TV channel Dream. “I received many offers from clubs like Real Madrid, Liverpool, and other Italian clubs.”
“Wigan even tried to sign me, with their sixth and last bid being 8 million Great British Pounds and 50% of my future sale. Aston Villa had a bid of 14 million GBP ready too,” he revealed.
“However, Zamalek’s board, which was led by Mamdouh Abbas, refused and asked for 250 million Egyptian pounds” he stated.
“Then, I asked Abbas, ‘250 million? Are you selling Messi?’ He responded with, ‘No, you’re better than Messi,” said Zaki.
Amr Zaki ended up returning to Zamalek the following season, but a series of injuries and unsuccessful stints at several clubs forced him into retirement this summer.