AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Hossam Paulo nets brace in Smouha victory
Smouha kickstarted their season with a 0-2 victory away to Ittihad El-Shorta under interim boss Mimi Abdel-Razek on Thursday.
The Alexandrians started their season with a tight 0-1 victory away to Ghazl El-Mahalla on matchday one, before succumbing to successive defeats against Petrojet and Misr El-Maqassa.
The poor run of form resulted in the termination of ex-Ahly manager Mohamed Youssef’s contract, and Mimi Abdel-Razek has been in charge in an interim capacity since.
Smouha’s fourth league match had yielded a better result, with the team holding ENPPI to a draw in Alexandria, but the win against El-Shorta today suggests an upturn in fortunes for the club.
Striker Hossam Paulo netted the first of his two goals of the match in the 45th minute, slotting a penalty past Hossam Osama after the latter flew out of his area and tackled Ahmed Temsah poorly in the previous passage of play.
The 2014/15 Egyptian Premier League top scorer completed his brace four minutes into the second interval, heading into an empty net after Osama unsuccessfully tried to claim an out-swinging corner.
To add insult to injury, El-Mahdi Soliman then saved a Shorta spot-kick to secure his second clean sheet this term.
The win sees Smouha climb into eighth place, while the hosts hover above the relegation zone with three points from 5 matches.