Ghana coach Avram Grant spoke about his team’s next game in the...
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
Hossam Paulo nets brace in Smouha victory
Smouha kickstarted their season with a 0-2 victory away to Ittihad El-Shorta under interim boss Mimi Abdel-Razek on Thursday.
The Alexandrians started their season with a tight 0-1 victory away to Ghazl El-Mahalla on matchday one, before succumbing to successive defeats against Petrojet and Misr El-Maqassa.
The poor run of form resulted in the termination of ex-Ahly manager Mohamed Youssef’s contract, and Mimi Abdel-Razek has been in charge in an interim capacity since.
Smouha’s fourth league match had yielded a better result, with the team holding ENPPI to a draw in Alexandria, but the win against El-Shorta today suggests an upturn in fortunes for the club.
Striker Hossam Paulo netted the first of his two goals of the match in the 45th minute, slotting a penalty past Hossam Osama after the latter flew out of his area and tackled Ahmed Temsah poorly in the previous passage of play.
The 2014/15 Egyptian Premier League top scorer completed his brace four minutes into the second interval, heading into an empty net after Osama unsuccessfully tried to claim an out-swinging corner.
To add insult to injury, El-Mahdi Soliman then saved a Shorta spot-kick to secure his second clean sheet this term.
The win sees Smouha climb into eighth place, while the hosts hover above the relegation zone with three points from 5 matches.