Alexandrian Smouha SC was stunned by a fifth ACL injury this season...
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
Hossam Paulo nets brace in Smouha victory
Smouha kickstarted their season with a 0-2 victory away to Ittihad El-Shorta under interim boss Mimi Abdel-Razek on Thursday.
The Alexandrians started their season with a tight 0-1 victory away to Ghazl El-Mahalla on matchday one, before succumbing to successive defeats against Petrojet and Misr El-Maqassa.
The poor run of form resulted in the termination of ex-Ahly manager Mohamed Youssef’s contract, and Mimi Abdel-Razek has been in charge in an interim capacity since.
Smouha’s fourth league match had yielded a better result, with the team holding ENPPI to a draw in Alexandria, but the win against El-Shorta today suggests an upturn in fortunes for the club.
Striker Hossam Paulo netted the first of his two goals of the match in the 45th minute, slotting a penalty past Hossam Osama after the latter flew out of his area and tackled Ahmed Temsah poorly in the previous passage of play.
The 2014/15 Egyptian Premier League top scorer completed his brace four minutes into the second interval, heading into an empty net after Osama unsuccessfully tried to claim an out-swinging corner.
To add insult to injury, El-Mahdi Soliman then saved a Shorta spot-kick to secure his second clean sheet this term.
The win sees Smouha climb into eighth place, while the hosts hover above the relegation zone with three points from 5 matches.