Glen De Boeck has talked about his latest signing in summer transfer window Mahmoud...
- Mouscron coach: Trezeguet most talented player in our team
- Fabio Petruzzi: Salah added value to Roma
- Ghana’s David Accam confident of beating Egypt
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
Ittihad of Alexandria hire Leonel Pontes
Ittihad of Alexandria have appointed the experienced Leonel Pontes as manager, following the departure of Stoycho Mladenov.
Having sacked their manager just five rounds into the Egyptian Premier League competition, Ittihad of Alexandria acted swiftly to replace Bulgarian manager Stoycho Mladenov, using the international break to hire another foreign coach, Leonel Pontes.
Pontes, 43, previously worked at Sporting B (assistant), Sporting CP U19 (assistant), Sporting CP (assistant), Sporting CP (interim manager), Portugal national team (assistant), Maritmo (manager) and Panetolikos (manager).
During his time at Greek outfits Panetolikos, the Portuguese coached Egyptian international Amr Warda, after signing him from Al Ahly.
Pontes also oversaw the unsuccessful transfer of Mohamed Ibrahim from Zamalek during his time at Maritimo.
This will be Pontes’ first coaching experience beyond Europe’s borders, a task that will test his ability to deal with players of different backgrounds. One thing for sure is that he will deal well with players with big egos, having dealt with three-time-Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ittihad of Alexandria sit in ninth place with seven points from five games. The Alexandria based club face Haras El-Hodood – who have also parted with their manager – on Thursday.