Al Ahly striker Souleymane Coulibaly was pleased with his performance against Sokar El-Hawamdia...
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
- Hector Cuper: Reaching World Cup is our main target
- CAF secretary general Hicham El Amrani resigns
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
Ittihad of Alexandria hire Leonel Pontes
Ittihad of Alexandria have appointed the experienced Leonel Pontes as manager, following the departure of Stoycho Mladenov.
Having sacked their manager just five rounds into the Egyptian Premier League competition, Ittihad of Alexandria acted swiftly to replace Bulgarian manager Stoycho Mladenov, using the international break to hire another foreign coach, Leonel Pontes.
Pontes, 43, previously worked at Sporting B (assistant), Sporting CP U19 (assistant), Sporting CP (assistant), Sporting CP (interim manager), Portugal national team (assistant), Maritmo (manager) and Panetolikos (manager).
During his time at Greek outfits Panetolikos, the Portuguese coached Egyptian international Amr Warda, after signing him from Al Ahly.
Pontes also oversaw the unsuccessful transfer of Mohamed Ibrahim from Zamalek during his time at Maritimo.
This will be Pontes’ first coaching experience beyond Europe’s borders, a task that will test his ability to deal with players of different backgrounds. One thing for sure is that he will deal well with players with big egos, having dealt with three-time-Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ittihad of Alexandria sit in ninth place with seven points from five games. The Alexandria based club face Haras El-Hodood – who have also parted with their manager – on Thursday.