KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
Ittihad of Alexandria hire Leonel Pontes
Ittihad of Alexandria have appointed the experienced Leonel Pontes as manager, following the departure of Stoycho Mladenov.
Having sacked their manager just five rounds into the Egyptian Premier League competition, Ittihad of Alexandria acted swiftly to replace Bulgarian manager Stoycho Mladenov, using the international break to hire another foreign coach, Leonel Pontes.
Pontes, 43, previously worked at Sporting B (assistant), Sporting CP U19 (assistant), Sporting CP (assistant), Sporting CP (interim manager), Portugal national team (assistant), Maritmo (manager) and Panetolikos (manager).
During his time at Greek outfits Panetolikos, the Portuguese coached Egyptian international Amr Warda, after signing him from Al Ahly.
This will be Pontes’ first coaching experience beyond Europe’s borders, a task that will test his ability to deal with players of different backgrounds. One thing for sure is that he will deal well with players with big egos, having dealt with three-time-Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ittihad of Alexandria sit in ninth place with seven points from five games. The Alexandria based club face Haras El-Hodood – who have also parted with their manager – on Thursday.