Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
Ittihad of Alexandria hire Leonel Pontes
Ittihad of Alexandria have appointed the experienced Leonel Pontes as manager, following the departure of Stoycho Mladenov.
Having sacked their manager just five rounds into the Egyptian Premier League competition, Ittihad of Alexandria acted swiftly to replace Bulgarian manager Stoycho Mladenov, using the international break to hire another foreign coach, Leonel Pontes.
Pontes, 43, previously worked at Sporting B (assistant), Sporting CP U19 (assistant), Sporting CP (assistant), Sporting CP (interim manager), Portugal national team (assistant), Maritmo (manager) and Panetolikos (manager).
During his time at Greek outfits Panetolikos, the Portuguese coached Egyptian international Amr Warda, after signing him from Al Ahly.
This will be Pontes’ first coaching experience beyond Europe’s borders, a task that will test his ability to deal with players of different backgrounds. One thing for sure is that he will deal well with players with big egos, having dealt with three-time-Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ittihad of Alexandria sit in ninth place with seven points from five games. The Alexandria based club face Haras El-Hodood – who have also parted with their manager – on Thursday.