Scottish outfit Kilmarnock have turned down a bid from African giants Zamalek...
- EXCLUSIVE: Kilmarnock turn down Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- AFCON Roundup: Guinea Bissau denied historic win
- OFFICIAL: Ghana’s Baba Rahman out of Africa Cup of Nations
- African legend Essam El-Hadary sets sights on 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Hosts Gabon suffer injury setback ahead of Cameroon clash
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
- Grant: Happy for the three points, Ghana can do better
- Uganda coach Micho blames ‘stage fright’ for Ghana defeat
- Thievy Bifouma joins Turkey’s Osmanlispor
Pontes: Manuel Jose is the reason I joined Ittihad
Pontes took over the role in Alexandria after the termination of his contract with Panetolikos after a poor run of results in the Greek league.
However, the Portuguese coach justified his dismissal by saying “I left the club because I disagreed with the president over principles that can’t be applied in the team, and I can’t continue in a team that doesn’t agree with my principles and philosophy”.
As for Jose’s role, Pontes said ” Manuel Jose is the Godfather for all the Portuguese coaches in Egypt”.
He added, “I called Jose asking for his opinion, and he said that Ittihad of Alexandria is a big and popular club with a wide fanbase in Egypt, that has a very strong premier league.”
Finally the new head coach said, “I was very happy to talk to Jose, and accepted the offer immediately”.