ENPPI and Egypt midfielder Salah Soliman has been ruled out of Monday’s local national...
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
- Hector Cuper: Reaching World Cup is our main target
- CAF secretary general Hicham El Amrani resigns
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
Egypt win bronze at World Weightlifting Championship
Ihab won his first bronze medal after lifting a total of 363 kg, setting new Egyptian, Arab and African records. The Egyptian successfully attempted 162 kg in the snatch and was able to lift 201 kg in the clean & jerk on his third attempt, for which he received his second bronze medal.
His win was a huge surprise as he was in the 69 kg division just six months before, but moved up to the 77 kg before the World Championship.
“I kept saying to my coach in training 200, 200 I can do it. But he said no, wait for competition. I wanted to compete in the African Championship and again he said no, you can win a medal in the World Championships,” Ihab told the International Weightlifting Federation website following his impressive win.
“I had one chance. The coach told me ‘Now, this time, go!’ My blood was hot and I did it. I am so happy, my mother is so happy,” he added.
Ihab went on in a celebration frenzy after lifting his 201 kg attempt and earned big cheers from the Texan crowd. The lifter is expected to begin preparing for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
You can see Ihab’s lift here: