Confederation of African Football officials have revealed their stance surrounding the...
- EXCLUSIVE | CAF reveal stance from Sundowns training venue problems
- Sundowns’ Dolly: We’re ‘chilling’ since arriving to Egypt
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Teko Modise: It will be a match to remember
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
Ekramy unhappy with lack of playing time under Cuper
Al Ahly goalkeeper Sherif Ekramy voiced his discontent about not being the first choice goalkeeper for the Egyptian national team.
Ekramy, who is the first choice keeper in his club, did however deny that the lack of international games will have a negative effect on his form.
“I’m not happy being the second choice keeper for the national team, especially because I was the first choice earlier on, but I should accept the choices of the technical team,” Ekramy said in a television interview on Al Hayat 2.
“I was once the fourth choice keeper for the national team, but I worked my way up the ladder to become the first choice keeper with time. Now, I fell back to being the second choice and that motivates me to work hard and get my position back,” the 32-year-old keeper added.
Ekramy is now second to Zamalek’s Ahmed El-Shennawy as Hector Cuper’s choice of goalkeepers for the Egyptian national team.
“Being a first choice keeper for the national team was contested between me and El-Shennawy for some time, I know my role within the squad very well and I make sure my lack of participation does not have a negative effect on the spirit the team has,” he concluded.
In the meantime, Al Ahly goalkeeping coach Tarek Soliman denied any need for additions within the goalkeeping position at the club.
Al Ahly have three registered goalkeepers at the moment with Ekramy being the first choice keeper.
Ahmed Adel and Mossad Awad are mostly on the bench for their teammate.
“Al Ahly have keepers on the highest level. We have not needed to add anyone to the goalkeeping position for the past four years,” Soliman said.
“I do not evaluate Ekramy on every single fault he does. Mistakes happen, even the best goalkeepers in the world do easy mistakes,” he added.
“Ekramy’s mistakes during his time at Al Ahly have been limited, we have managed to win titles as well because of his performance many times,” he concluded.