Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
VIDEO: Algeria hold Egypt to 1-1 draw in U23 AFCON opener
The Egypt U23 national team could only manage a 1-1 draw against their Algerian counterparts in their first match of the 2015 U23 African Cup of Nations in Senegal.
Egypt XI: Awad, Hany, Ragab Nabil, Yasser I. Hamdy, Ashraf, Rami Rabia, Kahraba, Mostafa Fathi, Ramadan, Karim Nedved
Algeria XI: Salhi, Abdellaoui, Keniche, Ferhani, Benkhemassa, Gagaa, Ferhat, Benguit, Bentahar, Chita, Amokrane
Egypt started the first half brightly, and Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ was caught offside early on as he looked to break.
Ayoub Abdellaoui was booked for a rough challenge on Mohamed Hany in the 21st minute, as the Ahly right-back posed a threat down the flank.
The first half ended goalless, but the match would liven up considerably in the second interval; soon after Mosaad Awad denied Algeria a goal, Kahraba headed in from Ashraf’s cross from the left to give his side the lead in the 55th minute.
Midway through the half, Zinedine Ferhat leveled the scores; his well-placed finish from 20 yards out gave Awad no chance.
Substitute Mohamed Salem wasted a golden chance to win the match for Egypt in the dying seconds, as he somehow failed to finish into an empty goal.
Egypt face Nigeria on Wednesday, in their second match of the group stage. The Dream Team defeated Mali 3-2, two hours after the first group match came to a close.