The Egyptian national team has been valued to be the 25th most...
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
Official: Ghaly reinstated as Al Ahly captain
Al Ahly chairman Mahmoud Taher reinstated veteran midfielder Hossam Ghaly as the team’s captain on Monday, according to the Red Castle’s official website.
Ghaly was stripped of captaincy after throwing the captain’s armband and kicking it following being sent off the field in his team’s 1-0 loss to Haras El-Hodood in the 2014/2015 Egyptian Premier League campaign.
The 34-year-old regained his title after six months during which striker Emad Meteb acted as the team’s regular captain.
Despite being stripped of the captaincy armband, Ghaly remained to be the team’s leader. After winning the Super Cup in October, Meteb, who was then the team’s captain, refused to lift the trophy and called on Ghaly to lift it.
Following the Super Cup incident, several voices have called for reinstating the former Tottenham player as the Red Devils captain. Al Ahly director of football Sayed Abdel-Hafiz said in a press conference on Sunday that Ghaly’s captaincy issue is in Mahmoud Taher’s hands.
The Red Devils are currently in a training camp in Dubai in preparation for the resumption of the Egyptian Premier League matches mid-December.