Zambia U-20 national team manager Beston Cgambeshi has announced his squad for...
- Zambia announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Shikabala excluded from Zamalek squad against Tala’a El-Gaish
- Smouha to face Kenya’s Ulinzi Star in CAF Confederation Cup
- Ahmed Yasser scores first goal in debut with Al Mina’a
- Cuper: Preparations for World Cup starts now
- Al Ahly to face South Africa’s Bidvest Wits in CAF Champions League
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores in Ittihad 2-0 win over Shabab
- Sundowns beat Mazembe to claim first CAF Super Cup title
- Dzeko speaks about partnership with Mohamed Salah
- Coulibaly excluded as Al Ahly announce squad for Contractors clash
Official: Ghaly reinstated as Al Ahly captain
Al Ahly chairman Mahmoud Taher reinstated veteran midfielder Hossam Ghaly as the team’s captain on Monday, according to the Red Castle’s official website.
Ghaly was stripped of captaincy after throwing the captain’s armband and kicking it following being sent off the field in his team’s 1-0 loss to Haras El-Hodood in the 2014/2015 Egyptian Premier League campaign.
The 34-year-old regained his title after six months during which striker Emad Meteb acted as the team’s regular captain.
Despite being stripped of the captaincy armband, Ghaly remained to be the team’s leader. After winning the Super Cup in October, Meteb, who was then the team’s captain, refused to lift the trophy and called on Ghaly to lift it.
Following the Super Cup incident, several voices have called for reinstating the former Tottenham player as the Red Devils captain. Al Ahly director of football Sayed Abdel-Hafiz said in a press conference on Sunday that Ghaly’s captaincy issue is in Mahmoud Taher’s hands.
The Red Devils are currently in a training camp in Dubai in preparation for the resumption of the Egyptian Premier League matches mid-December.