Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’ said in recent comments that during his professional career...
- Mido: I’ve should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
- Ismaily threatens to forfeit the league
Official: Ghaly reinstated as Al Ahly captain
Al Ahly chairman Mahmoud Taher reinstated veteran midfielder Hossam Ghaly as the team’s captain on Monday, according to the Red Castle’s official website.
Ghaly was stripped of captaincy after throwing the captain’s armband and kicking it following being sent off the field in his team’s 1-0 loss to Haras El-Hodood in the 2014/2015 Egyptian Premier League campaign.
The 34-year-old regained his title after six months during which striker Emad Meteb acted as the team’s regular captain.
Despite being stripped of the captaincy armband, Ghaly remained to be the team’s leader. After winning the Super Cup in October, Meteb, who was then the team’s captain, refused to lift the trophy and called on Ghaly to lift it.
Following the Super Cup incident, several voices have called for reinstating the former Tottenham player as the Red Devils captain. Al Ahly director of football Sayed Abdel-Hafiz said in a press conference on Sunday that Ghaly’s captaincy issue is in Mahmoud Taher’s hands.
The Red Devils are currently in a training camp in Dubai in preparation for the resumption of the Egyptian Premier League matches mid-December.