Referee Ibrahim Nour El-Dein talked about his contentious penalty decision in Al...
- Ibrahim Nour El-Dein: I did not hesitate to rule this penalty
- Mansour: Zamalek won’t continue the league
- Late Ekramy heroics seal crucial win for Ahly over Maqassa
- Baldissoni: We have no intention to replace Salah
- Mohamed Shawky joins Wadi Degla’s coaching staff
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
VIDEO: Egypt’s U-23 come from behind to share spoils with Nigeria
Egypt’s Junior Pharaohs held the Dream Team of Nigeria to a 2-2 draw in their second group game at the 2015 U-23 Africa Cup of Nations, keeping their Olympic hopes alive.
Having beaten Mali in their first game, Nigeria were eyeing up Egypt scalp to book a semi-final berth. The Pharaohs, however, were looking for their first win as they drew in their first game with Algeria.
Despite Nigeria having much of the possession, it was the Egyptian team who had the first shot on target after some great work by Mahmoud Karhaba. The Zamalek player passed the ball to Ramadan Sobhy whose weak shot went direct into the hands the Nigerian goalkeeper.
In the 21st minute, the Dream Team were awarded a penalty after Egyptian skipper Ramy Rabia allegedly handled the ball inside the penalty area. Etebo Oghenekaro converted it into the net giving Nigeria the lead.
The Nigerian team were awarded another penalty in the 30th minute after Egypt’s defender Mohamed Hany was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the Egyptian 18-yard box. Etebo stepped forward to complete his brace.
In the closing stages of the first half, Egypt had full control over the game but were let down by the failure of checking their lines and found themselves in offside position several times.
Egypt controlled the second half with Ramadan Sobhy pulling a goal from a header two minutes after coming from the break, making the scoreline 2-1.
In the 51st minute, Karim Mamdouh had a great run in the right flank and then hit the ball from a tight angle to find Chizoba who sent the ball in his own net to level the scoreline.
Both teams made attempts to score a third goal and clinch the three points, but neither was successful thus settling for a point each.
Hossam El-Badry’s side occupies third place in the group with 2 points having drawn with Algeria in their opening game of the tournament. Samson Siasia’s Dream Team joins Algeria, who beat Mali earlier Wednesday, on 4 points.
Egypt will face Mali in the final match of the group stage on Saturday.