Egyptian International Ahmed Hassan Koka featured as SC Braga secured a narrow...
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
- INTERVIEW: World squash number 4 Karim Abdel Gawad talks to KingFut
- Meteb excluded from Al Ahly squad against Petrojet
- Cúper recruits 10 international players for qualifier against Ghana
- Sanad’s La Rioja defeat Metalurg Handball in EHF Champions League
- Edin Dzeko talks about Mohamed Salah and regained form
- Khama Billiat glad to have stayed with Mamelodi Sundowns
2015 World Squash Championship called off after Egypt’s request
The 2015 World Squash Championship has been called off by the World Squash Federation on request from, hosts, Egypt.
The Men’s World Squash Championship, which was to be held in Egypt from the 12th of December, will not proceed as scheduled. This news comes as a result of a request made by the Egyptian Squash Association president, Assem Khalifa, to the world governing body to effect a postponement.
“We request the postponement with a heavy heart as Cairo is a safe city.”
This move comes on the back of some teams expressing their wish not to participate in the event; in fear for their safety. To this Assem responded, “All arrangements to the holding of the event are in place, including full government support to ensure protection as would be afforded to visiting VIPs, and so there is no reason for the Championship not to proceed.”
Withdrawal of some teams was the main motivator for the tournament cancellation with Assem Khalifa stating he wished “to end any uncertainty for other nations.” His statement in full went, “However we are mindful that some teams did not wish to attend the Championship for their own reasons and wish to end any uncertainty for other nations in a positive way by postponing until a later date. It pains us to do so as there is no reason for this and many teams have incurred costs, but it is something we must do to be fair to all.”
The 18-team tournament was scheduled for December 12th-18th, 2015.