Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
Egypt eliminated from U-23 Africa Cup of Nations after loss to Mali
Egypt U-23’s hopes of earning a ticket to the 2016 Olympics in Rio came to a pitiful end as they lost 1-0 to Mali.
Egypt XI; Mosaad Awad- Mahmoud Hamdy, Ragab Nabil, Mohamed Hamdy, Osama Ibrahim- Mohamed Fathi, Rami Rabia, Karim Walid ‘Nedved’, Ramadan Sobhy, Mahmoud Karaba- Hussein Ragab.
The Young Pharaohs went into the encounter against Mali needing nothing short of a win to have a chance at advancing. They started decently but things went downhill after scoring an own goal. Mahmoud Hamdy was unlucky to turn the ball into his own goal, from a corner kick, on 19 minutes.
The Malians then took control and almost doubled their lead four minutes later. Traore saw his effort go narrowly over the crossbar. Rabia came closest for the Egypt in a first half that they caused little trouble for the Malian goalkeeper.
Mali resumed their dominance in the second half but it was Egypt who came closest to scoring. First, in the 57th minute substitute Mamdouh forced a save from the Malian goalkeeper before Karim ‘Nedved’ missed a sitter. He headed over the bar, from point blank range, a cross to the far post by Zamalek winger Kahraba.
Egypt’s U-23 side puffed for atleast a leveler but to no avail. Ramadan Sobhy’s miss with 13 minutes to go compounding on a woeful afternoon for Egypt.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) December 5, 2015
The defeat condemned Egypt to bottom of group B after failing to pick a victory at this year’s U-23 Africa Cup of Nations. Mali was also eliminated alongside them with Nigeria and Algeria advancing to the last four.