Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Egypt’s Hedaya Malak wins gold, qualifies to Olympics
Egypt’s Hedaya Malak won the -57kg gold medal in the 2015 World Taekwondo Grand Prix on Sunday and secured herself a spot at the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro.
The 22-year-old won gold after defeating Spain’s Eva Calvo Gómez in the final of the championship held in Mexico City, Mexico.
In the semi-final, Malak defeated Jade Jones, Great Britain’s No.1 and 2012 Olympic 57-Kg gold medalist, to proceed to the final to face Spain’s most decorated Taekwondo player Eva Calvo Gómez.
The first 3 rounds of the final ended scoreless, thus moving to the golden point round which automatically ends once a player wins the first point. Malak won in the last 11 seconds of the extra round.
The Egyptian champion secured herself a spot at the 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympics as those ranked among the top six in the Olympic ranking of their weight category at the end of the 2015 season automatically qualify to the Olympics.
Malak is currently ranked 4th in the Olympic ranking. After winning gold at the Grand Prix, she’s expected to move to the third place.
The Egyptian starlet has competed in the 2012 London Olympic Games and qualified for the quarter-final before losing to Marlène Harnois of France, who later won the bronze medal.