Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Mido to KingFut: I’m shocked we didn’t qualify to Rio
Ismaily SC manager Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’ expressed his disappointment at Egypt’s failure to reach the 2016 Olympic games in Rio de Janiero.
Egypt’s Olympic national team ended a horrenderous run in the AFCON U23 competition, where a top three finish would’ve sent the Pharaohs to the Olympics.
Instead, Egypt ended their run bottom of their group after two stale draws against Tunisia & Nigeria, followed by a loss against Mali.
On Egypt’s performances, Mido told KingFut: “I’m shocked that we didn’t qualify. Most of the teams were not even playing with their players that play in Europe.
“The way we played was painful to watch,” Mido exclaimed.
Hossam El-Badry was largely blamed in the media for the team’s performances, as well as some players who were expected to take the tournament by storm like Kahraba, Mostafa Fathi and Ramadan Sobhy.
“I think they have done their best but each on his own. They never worked as a team.”
Others claimed that some players who are regulars at the senior national team should’ve been key figures to guiding the squad to Rio but again Mido confirmed it was not an individual problem.
“We didn’t play as a team. Many players who are not playing regularly at their clubs have been used as regulars with the national team,” Mido concluded.