Guinea-Bissau forward Abel Camara reflects on his team’s historic achievement of reaching...
- EXCLUSIVE | Guinea-Bissau’s Abel Camara: We feel like heroes
- Uganda defender Wasswa: We’re not afraid of Egypt
- Egypt thrash Canada 4-0 in Military World Cup
- Baba Rahman to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Egypt keeper Ahmed El-Shennawy sheds light on AFCON injury
- EXCLUSIVE: Kilmarnock turn down Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- AFCON Roundup: Guinea Bissau denied historic win
- OFFICIAL: Ghana’s Baba Rahman out of Africa Cup of Nations
- African legend Essam El-Hadary sets sights on 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Hosts Gabon suffer injury setback ahead of Cameroon clash
Al Ahly, Zamalek await opponents after CAF draw
Cairo giants Al Ahly and Zamalek will await their opponents in the round of 32 of the 2016 CAF Champions League, while Misr El-Maqassa and ENPPI compete in the Confederation Cup.
The draw, which took place in Senegal on Friday, exempted both Egyptian giants from the preliminary stage and revealed their possible opponents in the round of 32 which will commence in mid-March.
Eight-time record winners Al Ahly will begin the new campaign against the winner from the clash between Recreativo do Libolo of Angola and Racing de Micomiseng from Equatorial Guinea.
The White Knights will face the winner from Nimba FC of Liberia and Cameroonian side Union Douala.
The Red Devils are set to play their first leg away, while Zamalek will commence at home, between 11 and 13 March 2016. The round of 32 second leg matches are set to played between 18 and 20 March 2016.
In case Al Ahly advanced to the round of 16, they will face one of four teams in April; Young Africans (Tanzania), Cercle de Joachim (Mauritius), Mbabane Swallows (Swaziland), Armée Patriotique Rwandaise APR (Rwanda).
Zamalek however might then have a tougher opponent as they might clash with a North African team. The White Knights will face the winner from Club Africain (Tunisia) and AS Tanda (Ivory Coast) or from Mouloudia Olympique de Béjaïa (Algeria) match against Ashanti Gold (Ghana).
Besides the Egyptian powerhouses, seven more teams were exempted from the first round: Hilal and Merrikh (Sudan), TP Mazembe (DR Congo), E.S. Setif (Algeria), Etoile Sportive du Sahel (Tunisia), AC Leopards (Congo), and Coton Sport (Cameroon).
Confederation Cup draw
In the Confederation Cup, ENPPI were exempted from the first round while Misr El-Maqassa, who play their first continental competition, will play in the round of 64.
El-Maqassa are set to play their first continental match in Ethiopia as they start away against Defence Force SC.
ENPPI, however, will await the winner of Diables Noirs of Congo and Africa Sport of Ivory Coast.