Egypt international Ahmed Hamoudi scored to help Al-Batin secure a 1-1 home...
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
Zamalek announce withdrawal from league
Zamalek board announced during the team’s match against Tala’a El Gaish on Sunday that they will not continue playing in the Egyptian Premier League this season.
The club’s decision came in protest of the “arbitrary” refereeing in the team’s match against El-Gaish, according to Zamalek’s official statement.
“We have decided not to complete the Egyptian league because of the unfair refereeing decisions from the referee Mahmoud El-Banna,” Zamalek announced in a statement which was released on the club’s official website.
During the game, which Zamalek lost 3-2, El-Banna awarded El-Gaish a penalty and sent Zamalek defender Ali Gabr off the pitch in the 4th minute of the match. The defeat recorded the White Knights’ first loss during the league campaign.
According to the statement, the board had objected the referee choice before the match.
“[They] insisted to appoint him to officiate the match, and there seems to be a plan to obstruct Zamalek’s path in the match, after the defeat of our arch-rival in the previous game,” the statement concluded.
The statement seems to refer to Al Ahly’s loss against Smouha 3-0 in the eighth round of the Egyptian Premier League on Thursday.