Al Ahly coach Hossam El-Badry gave a hint regarding the team’s next...
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
Zamalek announce withdrawal from league
Zamalek board announced during the team’s match against Tala’a El Gaish on Sunday that they will not continue playing in the Egyptian Premier League this season.
The club’s decision came in protest of the “arbitrary” refereeing in the team’s match against El-Gaish, according to Zamalek’s official statement.
“We have decided not to complete the Egyptian league because of the unfair refereeing decisions from the referee Mahmoud El-Banna,” Zamalek announced in a statement which was released on the club’s official website.
During the game, which Zamalek lost 3-2, El-Banna awarded El-Gaish a penalty and sent Zamalek defender Ali Gabr off the pitch in the 4th minute of the match. The defeat recorded the White Knights’ first loss during the league campaign.
According to the statement, the board had objected the referee choice before the match.
“[They] insisted to appoint him to officiate the match, and there seems to be a plan to obstruct Zamalek’s path in the match, after the defeat of our arch-rival in the previous game,” the statement concluded.
The statement seems to refer to Al Ahly’s loss against Smouha 3-0 in the eighth round of the Egyptian Premier League on Thursday.