The Egyptian national team has been valued to be the 25th most...
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
Zamalek announce withdrawal from league
Zamalek board announced during the team’s match against Tala’a El Gaish on Sunday that they will not continue playing in the Egyptian Premier League this season.
The club’s decision came in protest of the “arbitrary” refereeing in the team’s match against El-Gaish, according to Zamalek’s official statement.
“We have decided not to complete the Egyptian league because of the unfair refereeing decisions from the referee Mahmoud El-Banna,” Zamalek announced in a statement which was released on the club’s official website.
During the game, which Zamalek lost 3-2, El-Banna awarded El-Gaish a penalty and sent Zamalek defender Ali Gabr off the pitch in the 4th minute of the match. The defeat recorded the White Knights’ first loss during the league campaign.
According to the statement, the board had objected the referee choice before the match.
“[They] insisted to appoint him to officiate the match, and there seems to be a plan to obstruct Zamalek’s path in the match, after the defeat of our arch-rival in the previous game,” the statement concluded.
The statement seems to refer to Al Ahly’s loss against Smouha 3-0 in the eighth round of the Egyptian Premier League on Thursday.