The fixtures for the U-20 Africa Cup of Nations, which is set...
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
- Grant: Happy for the three points, Ghana can do better
- Uganda coach Micho blames ‘stage fright’ for Ghana defeat
- Thievy Bifouma joins Turkey’s Osmanlispor
- Hector Cuper: Our group is now more complicated
- OFFICIAL: Injured Egypt keeper El-Shennawy to miss rest of AFCON
- Court adds Abou-Treika to terrorist watch-list
- Mali coach: We were under pressure against Egypt
- Elneny: We have a good chance to qualify
Al Ahly say Barcelona did not equal their record
Al Ahly say they have more international titles than Barcelona
In a statement on Al Ahly’s official website, the team points out that Barcelona have yet to equal the Red Castle’s record for 20 international titles.
Al Ahly claim that Barcelona’s triumph during the Club World Cup earlier this week in Japan did not tip the Spanish giant past Ahly’s international titles record.
Al Ahly have won a total of 20 international titles, which places the team as the most internationally-winning team in the world.
The Red Devils justified their statement by stating that Barcelona is factoring several pre-1972 European Super Cup Championships. The championships should not be added to the team’s count because the competition became official after 1972, the statement read.
Al Ahly’s argument is that until 1972 the competition was not recognized and supervised by UEFA or FIFA. and therefore making the record unofficial when counting the number of Barça’s international titles.
It is still unclear if Al Ahly’s argument will be heard by FIFA or not.