Egypt international Sam Morsy scored as Wigan claimed a 2-1 victory over...
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
VIDEO: Étoile smash Espérance to maintain lead at top of Ligue 1
Star man Hamza Lahmar continued his magnificent form this season with a brace, before Ahmed Akaichi finished off the visitors early in the second half to wrap up the points.
Ghazi Abderrazek stormed into the area in the 27th minute and was caught by a late challenge, which prompted the referee to point to the spot. Lahmar stepped up, and sent Moez Ben Cherifia the wrong way to open the scoring for the hosts.
The 25-year-old waited just six minutes before making his second crucial intervention in the match; after being cynically fouled by Chamseddine Dhaouadi more than 35 yards out, he dusted himself off before finding the lower right corner, despite the despairing Cherifia’s best efforts to keep it out.
The 2015 CAF Confederation Cup winners killed off Espérance just nine minutes after the break; a lightning-quick counterattack in which man-of-the-match Lahmar was inevitably involved ended with Akachi finding the far bottom corner with a quality finish after Alaya Brigui released him down the left.
With this result, Étoile return to the top of the Ligue 1 table with 28 points from 11 matches, ahead of CS Sfaxien on goal difference. Espérance remain in third place with 24 points, but have a match in hand over their two title rivals.