Egypt’s Mohamed Safwat was knocked out of Dubai Tennis Championships from the first...
- Monfils eliminates Safwat from Dubai Tennis Championships
- Ahmed Elmohamady: Everything has changed at Hull City
- Al Ahly announce stadium for Bidvest Wits clash
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
Zidan: El-Hadary was more important than Abou-Treika
Entag El-Harby’s Mohamed Zidan talked about the importance of Essam El-Hadary’s role in the Egyptian golden squad, the squad that helped the national team win three consecutive African Cups of Nations.
Zidan, who played for a number of German clubs, was a guest in a program on El Hayat TV channel, in which he talked about Egypt’s legendary goalkeeper, Abou-Treika, Mido and Salah.
“Of course, Abou-Treika is an important player and he is one of the icons of this golden generation, but El-Hadary was more important for many reasons,” he explained. “El-Hadary was the key factor for winning championships, he played all the matches, but for Abou-Treika, there were other players that could play in his position.”
El-Hadary recently said that he hopes to get a call-up to the national team.
“If a key player misses a match, the national team wasn’t affected, Abou-Treika was absent in 2010 and we won the championship, me and Amr Zaky were not available in the Confederations Cup and Egypt performed very well,” Zidan added.
The 34-year-old player said that because of these reasons, El-Hadary was the most important player and the best goalkeeper in Egypt.
He also added that Abou-Treika has high morals and was one of the most important players in Egypt. “I happy I had the honor of playing next to him,” he said.
When asked to choose between Mohamed Salah and Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’, Zidan chose Mido as the best Egyptian footballer who went to play abroad.
The ex-Bundesliga player concluded the interview by choosing a cartoon character that best suit’s him. “I’ll choose Captain Majed.”