Egypt’s Minister of Sports Khaled Abdel-Aziz has officially approved on Sunday the...
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
- Handball: Al Ahly win Africa Cup Winners’ Cup Championship
- Gaber starts in thrilling 2-2 draw against Vaduz
- Ramadan Sobhi’s Stoke fall 2-0 to Swansea City
- 10-man Hull City cruise past Watford with ease
- Wadi Degla women crowned Egypt Cup champions
Zidan: El-Hadary was more important than Abou-Treika
Entag El-Harby’s Mohamed Zidan talked about the importance of Essam El-Hadary’s role in the Egyptian golden squad, the squad that helped the national team win three consecutive African Cups of Nations.
Zidan, who played for a number of German clubs, was a guest in a program on El Hayat TV channel, in which he talked about Egypt’s legendary goalkeeper, Abou-Treika, Mido and Salah.
“Of course, Abou-Treika is an important player and he is one of the icons of this golden generation, but El-Hadary was more important for many reasons,” he explained. “El-Hadary was the key factor for winning championships, he played all the matches, but for Abou-Treika, there were other players that could play in his position.”
El-Hadary recently said that he hopes to get a call-up to the national team.
“If a key player misses a match, the national team wasn’t affected, Abou-Treika was absent in 2010 and we won the championship, me and Amr Zaky were not available in the Confederations Cup and Egypt performed very well,” Zidan added.
The 34-year-old player said that because of these reasons, El-Hadary was the most important player and the best goalkeeper in Egypt.
He also added that Abou-Treika has high morals and was one of the most important players in Egypt. “I happy I had the honor of playing next to him,” he said.
When asked to choose between Mohamed Salah and Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’, Zidan chose Mido as the best Egyptian footballer who went to play abroad.
The ex-Bundesliga player concluded the interview by choosing a cartoon character that best suit’s him. “I’ll choose Captain Majed.”