Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Zidan: El-Hadary was more important than Abou-Treika
Entag El-Harby’s Mohamed Zidan talked about the importance of Essam El-Hadary’s role in the Egyptian golden squad, the squad that helped the national team win three consecutive African Cups of Nations.
Zidan, who played for a number of German clubs, was a guest in a program on El Hayat TV channel, in which he talked about Egypt’s legendary goalkeeper, Abou-Treika, Mido and Salah.
“Of course, Abou-Treika is an important player and he is one of the icons of this golden generation, but El-Hadary was more important for many reasons,” he explained. “El-Hadary was the key factor for winning championships, he played all the matches, but for Abou-Treika, there were other players that could play in his position.”
El-Hadary recently said that he hopes to get a call-up to the national team.
“If a key player misses a match, the national team wasn’t affected, Abou-Treika was absent in 2010 and we won the championship, me and Amr Zaky were not available in the Confederations Cup and Egypt performed very well,” Zidan added.
The 34-year-old player said that because of these reasons, El-Hadary was the most important player and the best goalkeeper in Egypt.
He also added that Abou-Treika has high morals and was one of the most important players in Egypt. “I happy I had the honor of playing next to him,” he said.
When asked to choose between Mohamed Salah and Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’, Zidan chose Mido as the best Egyptian footballer who went to play abroad.
The ex-Bundesliga player concluded the interview by choosing a cartoon character that best suit’s him. “I’ll choose Captain Majed.”