Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Pepe Mel sacked by Amro Tarek’s Real Betis
Real Betis manager Pepe Mel has been sacked yet again by the club, in the aftermath of his side’s defeat against Getafe on Saturday.
The following statement was released by Real Betis on their official website:
“The Administration Board of Real Betis Balompié has decided to dismiss Mister José Mel Pérez [Pepe Mel] as manager of the first team. Real Betis Balompié would like to thank Mel for all the services given to the Club and wishes him all the best in the future.”
Pepe Mel was first hired by Betis back in 2010 after being sacked by Rayo Vallcano, and he carried the Andalusians to 7th place in the 2012-2013 La Liga season.
He was sacked halfway through the following season after achieving poor results, and signed for English club West Bromich Albion shortly afterwards as Betis dropped into the Segunda division.
Pepe left Albion on in May 2014, before returning to Real Betis in December. He then coached the Beticos to promotion to La Liga.
Betis have failed to win any of their last eight matches in all competitions, and are on a three-match losing streak in La Liga.
Betis have not yet appointed a replacement for Mel, ahead of their Seville derby clash in the Copa del Rey round of sixteen.