Al Ahly have defeated Kenyan side Prisons 3-0 in the quarter-finals of the African...
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
Egypt volleyball team qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
The Egyptian volleyball team have qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics after winning the African Olympic Qualifiers.
The Pharaohs dominated the whole tournament, which was held in Brazzaville. Egypt came out on top of Group A, defeating hosts Congo 3-1 and fellow Arabs, Tunisia, 3-0 to face Group B runners-up Cameroon in the semi-finals.
Egypt defeated Cameroon 3-2 on Monday and met Tunisia again in the final after Tunisia defeating rivals, Algeria, 3-1 in the semi-finals. The Egyptians put on a very strong performance Egypt defeated Tunisia 3-2 on sets.
During the final Egypt won the first set 25-19, then lost the second 20-25 but managed to come back again to win the third set 25-18, putting the Pharaohs 2-1 up.
Tunisia were resilient and came back once again to win the fourth set 25-19, resorting to a final fifth set decider that the Pharaohs won 16-14, therefore winning the African Olympics Qualifiers and thus qualifying to the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
Egypt join Argentina, Russia and Cuba, United States and Brazil as the qualifying teams so far. Tunisia will face third place Algeria in the World Olympic Qualifiers that will take place in Tokyo, Japan later in May.