Egypt will face England in the 2016 Women’s World Team Squash Championship...
- Egypt’s women beat hosts France to reach World Championship final
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores brace as Ittihad thrash Ettifaq
- Wenger gives update on Elneny’s condition
- OFFICIAL: Gabon appoint Jose Camacho as new manager
- Mahmoud Fayez: Salah will be fit in time for AFCON
- SQUASH: Egyptian women take world’s top three spots for first time in history
- SQUASH: Egypt beat USA to reach WWTC semi-finals
- Ahmed Gafaar excluded from Zamalek’s squad against El-Dakhleya
- Salah out for three weeks with an ankle injury
- Wim De Coninck believes Trezeguet must return to Anderlecht
Peseiro quits Al Ahly, Zizo named as interim manager
Al Ahly have terminated the contract of manager Jose Peseiro and appointed Abdel-Aziz Abdel-Shafy ‘Zizo’ as interim manager, according to the club’s official website.
The Red Castle had appointed the Portuguese coach in October after sacking Fathi Mabrouk following his loss in the CAF Confederation Cup semi-final.
Peseiro requested to terminate his contract, as he was “unable to withstand the pressure and criticism” from the fans during the current period, according to the official website.
Al Ahly chairman Mahmoud Taher have tried to convince Peseiro to continue his mission with the team, promising that the board would provide all needed support. Peseiro, however, rejected, saying that he was faced by criticism from Al Ahly fans even before officially taking over at the Red Castle.
The contract termination came one day after Al Ahly football director Sayed Abdel-Hafiz denied negotiations between Peseiro and UAE side Baniyas, describing these reports as “baseless”.
The Portuguese coach will have to pay the penalty clause for terminating his contract with Al Ahly.
Peseiro’s departure came after a disappointing run of performances and results for the Red Castle in the Egyptian Premier League. The 55-year-old coach led Al Ahly in 12 matches this season, in which the Red Devils won eight games, lost two and drew two. They currently occupy the third position in the league table with 26 points.
Zizo, who now serves as caretaker, has previously held the interim manager position following the resignation of Mabrouk in October and in 2010 after the termination of Hossam El-Badry’s contract. He will lead the team during their matches against Ismaily on Wednesday and Ittihad of Alexandria next week, until the board appoint a new manager.