KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
HANDBALL: Egypt claim victory in African Cup of Nations opener
The first interval was a riveting contest, with defending champions Algeria coming back from a goal down to tie the score no less than five times in the opening minutes, as the hosts missed two penalties.
Nevertheless, when Mohamed Sanad scored to make it 7-6, the Pharaohs did not look back and led for the remainder of the match en-route to victory.
Goalkeeper Karim ‘Katonga’ Hendawy’s heroics ensured Egypt finished the first half leading 11-7.
Egypt broke the 20-point barrier with 12 minutes to go, and rode out a late surge from the Algerians to emerge as 22-18 winners.
The win leaves Egypt in third place in Group A, behind Cameroon and Morocco respectively on goal difference.
The Pharaohs’ next game will be against Nigeria on Friday at 19:00 CLT.
Group A leaders Cameroon defeated Nigeria 24-16, in what was ultimately a comfortable victory. Morocco also emerged victorious against Gabon 29-23.