Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
VIDEO: Elneny makes full Arsenal debut in cup win
The Egyptian had spent the entirety of Arsenal’s previous two matches on the bench, but enjoyed a successful debut against Burnley.
The first half began with flowing football from the Gunners, with Elneny constantly involved in build-up play and creating chances for his side.
Elneny showed full confidence on the pitch with numerous tackles, along with accurate long passes.
In the 19th minute, a passage of play initiated by the Egyptian culminated in Alexis Sanchez chipping a pass to Calum Chambers, who made it 1-0 for the hosts with a one-touch finish.
Nevertheless, it only took 11 minutes for Burnley to reply, as Sam Vokes’ header inside the box levelled the scores after a cross by Tendayi Darikwa.
Arsenal would go on to control the remainder of the match, with chances few and far between for Burnley.
As the second half began, a counter-attack saw Alex Oxlade Chamberlin send a low cross into the box, and Sanchez duly finished to make it 2-1 for Arsenal, as Burnley were caught upfield.
Elneny continued to push forward in search of a debut goal, and wound up with five shots, two of which were saved by opposition goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
Arsene Wenger opted against substituting Elneny off, and he went on to play the full 90 minutes, and his promising performance will have no doubt given Arsene Wenger a viable option in midfield in the coming period.
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) January 30, 2016
With this win, Arsenal have progressed to the Round of 16 in the 2015/16 FA Cup. Their next match will be at home to Southampton on Tuesday, in the 24th round of fixtures in the Premier League.