KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
- Egypt lose to Sweden, face Croatia in World Handball Championship last 16
- Avram Grant demands injured players’ replacement in AFCON
- Zamalek reject Torino’s offer for Mostafa Fathi
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
- Roma cruise past Sampdoria to reach quarter-finals
- Elmohamady: Uganda’s match is very important
- EXCLUSIVE: Union Española turn down Zamalek bid for Carlos Salom
- Burkina Faso duo Pitroipa, Zongo to miss rest of AFCON
Sam Morsy debuts in Wigan victory
Egypt-eligible Sam Morsy was substituted in in the 70th minute against his former side Port Vale in the 29th round of the League One.
Wigan were already leading 3-0 by the time of Morsy’s introduction, thanks to a goal from Yanic Wildschut and Will Grigg’s brace, but the defensive midfielder helped the Latics hold on for the three points.
Wigan’s manager, Gary Caldwell, expressed his delight with Morsy’s performance, stating, “Sam and Ryan both did excellently.” He continued, “It was good to get a game like that where we could bring them both on and give them the feel of the DW.”
Caldwell added, “Playing with a new team is always difficult, especially considering they have only had one training session with the team, but they showed their quality and gave the squad a real boost.”
Wigan are currently in fourth place in the table with 52 points, and five points behind league leaders Burton Albion. Wigan face Sheffield United next Saturday in League One action.