Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
VIDEO: Karim Hafez assists in Omonia’s cup victory
Karim Hafez’s AC Omonia attained a 4-0 home victory over Pafos FC in the first leg of their Cypriot Cup quarter-final on Wednesday.
Omonia needed 26 minutes to open the scoring, following an amazing effort from Nuno Assis. The veteran midfielder beat three defenders, before passing to Andre Schembri, who smashed it into the bottom corner and gave his team the lead.
It took Omonia only four minutes to double their lead, after Pafos defenders failed to clear a long pass. The ball found its way to Ziguy Badibanga, who went one-on-one with the goalkeeper, before tapping it into the net.
In the 63rd minute, Badibanga was in action again as his scored his team’s third goal. The Belgian winger met a low cross from the right side and diverted it with his left foot into the net.
Eleven minutes to full time, Demetris Christofi collected Hafez’s cross on the right side. The Cypriot winger cut inside, before firing into the net with his left foot.
Pafos failed to score a consolation goal as the game ended 4-0.
The win gives Omonia a big advantage ahead of the second leg on 17 February as the Nicosia club inches closer to the semi-final.