Egypt’s Mohamed Safwat was knocked out of Dubai Tennis Championships from the first...
- Monfils eliminates Safwat from Dubai Tennis Championships
- Ahmed Elmohamady: Everything has changed at Hull City
- Al Ahly announce stadium for Bidvest Wits clash
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
VIDEO: Karim Hafez assists in Omonia’s cup victory
Karim Hafez’s AC Omonia attained a 4-0 home victory over Pafos FC in the first leg of their Cypriot Cup quarter-final on Wednesday.
Omonia needed 26 minutes to open the scoring, following an amazing effort from Nuno Assis. The veteran midfielder beat three defenders, before passing to Andre Schembri, who smashed it into the bottom corner and gave his team the lead.
It took Omonia only four minutes to double their lead, after Pafos defenders failed to clear a long pass. The ball found its way to Ziguy Badibanga, who went one-on-one with the goalkeeper, before tapping it into the net.
In the 63rd minute, Badibanga was in action again as his scored his team’s third goal. The Belgian winger met a low cross from the right side and diverted it with his left foot into the net.
Eleven minutes to full time, Demetris Christofi collected Hafez’s cross on the right side. The Cypriot winger cut inside, before firing into the net with his left foot.
Pafos failed to score a consolation goal as the game ended 4-0.
The win gives Omonia a big advantage ahead of the second leg on 17 February as the Nicosia club inches closer to the semi-final.