Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Abdel-Shafy features in Al Ahli draw
After suffering from a knee injury which kept him sidelined, Abdel-Shafy made his return in the 2-1 victory over Damac in the Round of 16 of the 2016 Saudi King’s Cup .
The 30 year old defender featured for 45 minutes in his first league game since December as Al Ahli failed to benefit from Al-Hilal’s draw earlier, failing to top the league table.
Al Ahli started the game so well as they needed just 12 minutes to open the scoring. A free kick played into the box was headed by Saudi defender Ageel Balghaith, giving ‘The Royals’ the lead.
Thirty-three minutes into the first half, Khaleej scored an equalizer. Aminou Bouba met Abdoulaye Koffi’s low cross and diverted it into the net with his right foot as Al Ahli’s goalkeeper failed to deal with it.
Before the start of the second half, Mohamed Abdel-Shafy was substituted and replaced by Mustafa Al-Bassass. Al-Ahli controlled the game in the second half but failed to translate to goals, as the game ended 1-1.
Al Ahli are now unbeaten for 49 consecutive league games; however, the draw kept them in second place with 35 points from 15 games, just two points away from league leaders Al-Hilal