Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Abdel-Shafy features in Al Ahli draw
After suffering from a knee injury which kept him sidelined, Abdel-Shafy made his return in the 2-1 victory over Damac in the Round of 16 of the 2016 Saudi King’s Cup .
The 30 year old defender featured for 45 minutes in his first league game since December as Al Ahli failed to benefit from Al-Hilal’s draw earlier, failing to top the league table.
Al Ahli started the game so well as they needed just 12 minutes to open the scoring. A free kick played into the box was headed by Saudi defender Ageel Balghaith, giving ‘The Royals’ the lead.
Thirty-three minutes into the first half, Khaleej scored an equalizer. Aminou Bouba met Abdoulaye Koffi’s low cross and diverted it into the net with his right foot as Al Ahli’s goalkeeper failed to deal with it.
Before the start of the second half, Mohamed Abdel-Shafy was substituted and replaced by Mustafa Al-Bassass. Al-Ahli controlled the game in the second half but failed to translate to goals, as the game ended 1-1.
Al Ahli are now unbeaten for 49 consecutive league games; however, the draw kept them in second place with 35 points from 15 games, just two points away from league leaders Al-Hilal