Hazem Emam has admitted that his early days at Italy’s Serie...
- Emam talks about his Udinese days and Salah
- Abdel-Khalek joins Arab Contractors on loan
- VIDEO: El-Sheikh scores late to send Egypt to World Military Cup semis
- Ramzy Khaled joins Arab Contractors on loan
- OFFICIAL: Egypt’s Amr Warda joins PAOK from Panetolikos
- Ghana to use Egypt game as rehearsal for quarterfinals, says Andre Ayew
- Elneny: I want to become an Arsenal legend
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly sign Kilmarnock striker Souleymane Coulibaly
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
Ghofran Zaki earns third taekwondo Rio spot for Egypt
Egypt’s taekwondo champion Ghofran Zaki secured a spot in the upcoming Olympics in Rio de Janeiro after finishing first in the 2016 African Qualification Tournament.
Zaki defeated Senegal player Balla Dieye 2-1 in the final of the men’s lightweight (68 kg) competition, held in Agadir, Morocco on the 6th and 7th of February.
The first two ranked athletes per weight secure a place each in the Summer Olympic Games.
Zaki reached the final after beating Moroccan Faical Saidi and Central African David Boui in the competition’s quarter-final and semi-final, respectively.
The 23-year-old is the third Egyptian taekwondo player to qualify for the 2016 Olympics, following Hedaya Malak and Seham Elsawalhy.
Malak qualified automatically as she is ranked among the top six players in the Olympic ranking, while Elsawahly secured a spot after winning the gold medal of the women’s welterweight category (67 kg) in the African Qualification Tournament.
Meanwhile, Egypt’s Seif Eissa failed to reach the tournament’s final after losing to Mali’s player in the semi-final of the men’s 80 kg competition.