Roma general manager Mauro Baldissoni spoke to Premium Sport about Mohamed Salah’s replacement...
- Baldissoni: We have no intention to replace Salah
- Mohamed Shawky joins Wadi Degla’s coaching staff
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
Ghofran Zaki earns third taekwondo Rio spot for Egypt
Egypt’s taekwondo champion Ghofran Zaki secured a spot in the upcoming Olympics in Rio de Janeiro after finishing first in the 2016 African Qualification Tournament.
Zaki defeated Senegal player Balla Dieye 2-1 in the final of the men’s lightweight (68 kg) competition, held in Agadir, Morocco on the 6th and 7th of February.
The first two ranked athletes per weight secure a place each in the Summer Olympic Games.
Zaki reached the final after beating Moroccan Faical Saidi and Central African David Boui in the competition’s quarter-final and semi-final, respectively.
The 23-year-old is the third Egyptian taekwondo player to qualify for the 2016 Olympics, following Hedaya Malak and Seham Elsawalhy.
Malak qualified automatically as she is ranked among the top six players in the Olympic ranking, while Elsawahly secured a spot after winning the gold medal of the women’s welterweight category (67 kg) in the African Qualification Tournament.
Meanwhile, Egypt’s Seif Eissa failed to reach the tournament’s final after losing to Mali’s player in the semi-final of the men’s 80 kg competition.