Egyptian International Mohamed Abdelshafy returned to Al Ahli’s lineup as they beat...
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
Ghofran Zaki earns third taekwondo Rio spot for Egypt
Egypt’s taekwondo champion Ghofran Zaki secured a spot in the upcoming Olympics in Rio de Janeiro after finishing first in the 2016 African Qualification Tournament.
Zaki defeated Senegal player Balla Dieye 2-1 in the final of the men’s lightweight (68 kg) competition, held in Agadir, Morocco on the 6th and 7th of February.
The first two ranked athletes per weight secure a place each in the Summer Olympic Games.
Zaki reached the final after beating Moroccan Faical Saidi and Central African David Boui in the competition’s quarter-final and semi-final, respectively.
The 23-year-old is the third Egyptian taekwondo player to qualify for the 2016 Olympics, following Hedaya Malak and Seham Elsawalhy.
Malak qualified automatically as she is ranked among the top six players in the Olympic ranking, while Elsawahly secured a spot after winning the gold medal of the women’s welterweight category (67 kg) in the African Qualification Tournament.
Meanwhile, Egypt’s Seif Eissa failed to reach the tournament’s final after losing to Mali’s player in the semi-final of the men’s 80 kg competition.