Zamalek goalkeeper Mahmoud Abdel-Rahim Gennesh expressed his happiness after first national team call-up...
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
Zamalek sack Mido, appoint Salah as caretaker manager
Zamalek have announced the sacking of manager Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’, following the team’s 2-0 loss against Al Ahly in the Cairo derby on Tuesday.
Al Ahly defeated Zamalek in the 17th round of the Egyptian Premier League, widening the gap between the two teams to seven points. Tuesday’s loss recorded Zamalek’s second consecutive defeat, as they lost 1-0 to Ismaily.
Following the match, Zamalek board decided to sack Mido and football director Hazem Emam. General coach Mohamed Salah will take over as interim manager, until the board appoints a foreign manager.
Mido took over at Zamalek earlier in January, following the sacking of Brazilian coach Marcos Paqueta. He led the team to win four matches in a row, before drawing with Smouha and losing to Ismaily and Al Ahly.
The next manager will be Zamalek’s fourth coach this season, after the departure of Jesualdo Ferreira, sacking of Paqueta and Mido.
Zamalek, who sit in the second place with 31 points, will play against Wadi Degla on Sunday.